INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

update for INDI drivers for Raspberry Pi

• Thank you received: 92
Hello Patrick,

I repeated the whole process. Installed a clean Buster, compiled and installed INDI and 3rdparty drivers. Without any extra installation, the command:

indiserver -vvv indi_simulator_ccd

worked. No goodby or quit. No files with 1.7.5 where installed.

As a final action, I installed INDIstarter and suddenly the files with 1.7.5 where installed and the <strong>indi_simulator_ccd</strong> said goodby after 10 restarts.

So it look likes INDIstarter is causing the problem. I downloaded it from:
sourceforge.net/projects/indistarter/fil...0_armhf.deb/download

But the INDIstarter debian package doesn't contain the 1.7.5 files. So at moment I'm really baffled how this is possible.

Han

Later, did a search for files contaning 1.7.5. and found the following files:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls /var/cache/apt/archives/libindi*
/var/cache/apt/archives/libindialignmentdriver1_1.7.5+dfsg-1_armhf.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libindi-data_1.7.5+dfsg-1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libindidriver1_1.7.5+dfsg-1_armhf.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libindi-plugins_1.7.5+dfsg-1_armhf.deb
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

How did they get there :silly: ???????
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by han.
4 years 8 months ago #40827

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 104
Han,

This is because indistarter package specify "Recommends: indi-bin" in the control file.

Normally this must not make the package to be installed automatically, but show a message about this recommendation. But sure INDI itself is a strong recommendation before you can use indistarter.
www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html

If you downloaded the deb file, dpkg do not process the dependencies, you eventually have to run apt for that. Do you remember all the command you use to install?
If you do "apt install -f" after dpkg it may have installed indi-bin from the Raspbian repo, but normally it must not, only the "Depends:..." list must be processed automatically.

To remove this files do:
sudo apt remove indi-bin
sudo apt autoremove

Then run "make install" again from your libindi build directory.
4 years 8 months ago #40833

Now it all becomes clear but what is causing this?

By repairing the installation, I can repeat the steps:

I used the right mouse pop-up menu of the file explorer PCMAN option "Package Install" to install the debian package of INDIstarter. No message about dependencies so this action installed version 1.7.5 without warnings and ignores the installed 1.7.9 But why? Is this a bug in the installer or is the installer confused by the version numbers?

I installed GDEBI and this package installer see 1.7.9 and installs correctly INDIstarter without any extra package.

How to instruct others to avoid this problem?

The driver indi_qhy_ccd was missing, but I could compile it separately. Strange.

Thanks anyhow for assistance! I'm ready for the Pi4

Han
4 years 8 months ago #40847

• Thank you received: 104
The apt system (apt, dpkg, ...) do not know you install 1.7.9 because you not install it using a deb, so for apt indi is not installed.

The pacman applet probably launch the dpkg and apt command with options to process automatically all the package suggestion.
This can also be configured system wide in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ so the behavior can change depending on the distribution.

This is good for the end user, in this case if they install indistarter without indi, indi is first installed from the distribution repo, if later they change to the ppa indi is automatically updated to the last version.

This is something you must be careful when mixing install from source and from deb. It is better if you learn the few command line to install the deb and not use this pcaman or gdebi frontend that hide how it work.
This two command normally do the thing and give you exact message about what is done, the first install the deb you want, the second install the missing dependencies and finalize the deb install:
- dpkg -i indistarter*.deb
- apt install -f

The qhy driver and everything in 3rdparty must be compiled and installed separately. You must compile and install libqhy first. Or just compile and install all 3rdparty two time, the first time it fail to compile the driver but install the library, the second time it compile the driver.
4 years 8 months ago #40851

Okay clear. I'm slowly getting more familiar with Linux and the command line.

The GDEBI package installer sees the 1.7.9 so seems smarter. It will report missing dependencies before installing them

I did compile the 3rdparty drivers twice. Next time (Pi4) I will watch more carefully what will happens with the QHY driver.

Thanks again all for the feedback!

Topic closed!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juan Manuel
4 years 8 months ago #40852

• Thank you received: 0
Hi @han.k, sorry to hijack your post. I recently got the QHYCFW3 and I'm trying to use it on a non-windows machine (macOS or Raspberry Pi) and I saw in your post that you have successfully managed to use the QHYCFW3 on a Raspberry Pi. Are you connecting the device via USB straight to the RPi or through the serial port to a QHY camera? Is it working correctly? Thanks!
4 years 3 months ago #46787

Hello Fluxa,

Unfortunately, I don't have a QHYCFW3. My filter wheel is manual. Maybe somebody else in the thread has one.

Han
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juan Manuel
4 years 3 months ago #46788

Time to create page: 1.253 seconds