INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Setting developpement environment

• Thank you received: 2
Well, after few hours looking after a solution, I use this configuration which seems working :
- Build : I remove custom process step, I use the default command "cmake --build . --target all"
And tutorials works.
4 years 5 months ago #44171

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looks like KDE deprecated and removed kdesudo *sigh* and there are no alternatives. So just build with QtCreator, and when you want to install to the system, go to the build directory and run sudo make -j8 install
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arnaud
4 years 5 months ago #44193

• Thank you received: 138
I've also been trying to build indi. This is with a Pi4 running Raspbian and with EKOS etc. installed usug the AstroPi script. This worked, including clonin and building EKOS INDI and 3rdParty.

Installed QTCreator, cloned the sources following the instructions as much as posssibly allowing for QTCreator having changed its UI again and the split of libindi and 3rdParty.

QtCreator sems to run fine but kdesudo doesn't
Messages are:
At the start of the compile process:
10:25:10: Running steps for project libindi...
10:25:10: Persisting CMake state...
10:25:19: Starting: "/usr/bin/cmake" --build . --target all
[1/432 1.1/sec] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/indi_hid_test.dir/libs/indibase/hidtest.cpp.o
[2/432 2.1/sec] Building C object CMakeFiles/indi_eval.dir/eventloop.c.o
[3/432 2.5/sec] Building C object CMakeFiles/indi_eval.dir/base64.c.o
[4/432 2.6/sec] Building C object CMakeFiles/indi_eval.dir/tools/evalINDI.c.o
[5/432 3.2/sec] Building C object CMakeFiles/indi_eval.dir/tools/compiler.c.o
[6/432 3.5/sec] Building C object CMakeFiles/indi_hid_test.dir/libs/indibase/hid_libusb.c.o
[7/432 3.0/sec] Linking CXX executable indi_hid_test
[8/432 3.4/sec] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/indi_openweathermap_weather.dir/drivers/weather/gason.cpp.o
[9/432 3.4/sec] Building C object CMakeFiles/indi_eval.dir/libs/lilxml.c.o
[10/432 2.7/sec] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/indi_weather_safety_proxy.dir/drivers/weather/gason.cpp.o
This continue for some time, then:
[432/432 1.3/sec] Linking CXX executable examples/tutorial_seven/tutorial_seven
10:31:00: The process "/usr/bin/cmake" exited normally.
10:31:00: Starting: "/usr/bin/kdesudo" -c 'make install'
make: *** No rule to make target 'install'.  Stop.
10:31:55: The process "/usr/bin/kdesudo" exited with code 2.
Error while building/deploying project libindi (kit: Desktop)
When executing step "Custom Process Step"
10:31:55: Elapsed time: 06:44.
kdesudo seems to be present and runs make but then there is the no rule error.
Trying your suggestion gives:
chris@AstroPi:~ $ cd Projects/build-indi
chris@AstroPi:~/Projects/build-indi $ sudo make -j8 install
[sudo] password for chris: 
make: *** No rule to make target 'install'.  Stop.
chris@AstroPi:~/Projects/build-indi $ 
I'm not sure how to proceed, could it be an incorrect build directory?

It's not helped by using a new Pi4 with a different OS, a different version of QT and the new split indi repository. Not sure how much more I could have changed :)

Chris
4 years 5 months ago #44195

• Thank you received: 138
I managed to get this going, the problem was that I was using the wrong build directory.
I started by following the console build steps in the Setting Development Environment, slightly modified because of the repository split:
mkdir -p ~/Projects/build/indi
cd ~/Projects/build/indi
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ~/Projects/indi
sudo make install
This worked. I then reviewed the Build Settings in the qtCreator project and set the build directory to /home/chris/Projects/build/indi
And that did the trick, compile and install.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arnaud, Karl Rees
4 years 5 months ago #44236

• Thank you received: 6
Any chance someone could update the instructions on the setting the development environment? I set up a development environment a long time ago and recently came back to it, and was having all sorts of trouble trying to figure out what changed, until I found this post.
4 years 5 months ago #44999

Someone from the community must step up eventually to update the documentation. I wrote the original development guide from my point of view, but it really needs to be updated using a fresh set of eyes for someone setting this up and going through the actual process.

Karl, can you please help in this part? Identify which parts needs to be updated and we'll update the documentation accordingly.
4 years 5 months ago #45012

I'd be happy to contribute where I can. The page I was looking at was: indilib.org/develop/developer-manual/163...ent-environment.html. What's the best way for me to propose changes?
4 years 5 months ago #45031

Hi Karl, thanks for offering help, it's greatly appreciated. You now have permission to edit the developer manual. Please login to the backend --> indilib.org/administrator and then go to content --> articles and you can find the setting up development environment article.
4 years 5 months ago #45046

Trusting, aren't you :) I made changes to reflect what I had to do. Hopefully they're universally applicable. The tutorial needs updating as well: indilib.org/develop/tutorials/184-building-indi-tutorials.html, but I don't have access. I'll have a quick look at the README too, since I remember that not working either.
4 years 5 months ago #45050

Wow Thank you for the update! I also granted you access to the tutorial ;-)

Glad the documentation is getting update to help prospective developers. I was thinking maybe it needs to be converted to a Wiki to made updates & contributions even more accessible to users, but that itself needs quite a bit of work.
4 years 5 months ago #45059

• Thank you received: 559
OK, I tried to bite the bullet and figure out how to use QtCreator (I've been command-line and emacs up to this point).
One non-starter I'm facing right now, is I can't figure out how to get QtCreator to run make with the -j6 flag (try as I may, it always just runs a single compile at a time).

How do you configure QtCreator to do that?
A "dummys guide to setting up kstars with qtcreator" would be appreciated if you are doing this doc.
Thanks!
4 years 5 months ago #45078

Maybe you can use this?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hy Murveit
4 years 5 months ago #45088
Attachments:

Time to create page: 2.117 seconds