INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Indiduino MeteoStation (updated hardware and firmware)

• Thank you received: 15
SQM is using ttyUSB instead of ttyACM. Is your MeteoStation also using ttyUSB?
4 years 4 months ago #45888

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
Great work, Gilles, many thanks, having the tsl2591 as light sensor brings much value!

Since I am building my own small weather station I am very interested what type of enclosure you are using. Especially for the light sensor, is it possible to shield it from the weather without disturbing it?

Wolfgang
4 years 4 months ago #45892

• Thank you received: 54
I am using a 3.3 volts, 8 MHz Arduino Pro Mini for its size and I2C supply compatibility, connected to the PC via a USB FTDI cable. It is recognized as a /dev/ttyUSB* device.
4 years 4 months ago #45900

I am using an Arduino Metro Mini, which works fine under Linux. What do you use as housing for the electronics?
4 years 4 months ago #45901

Thanks!

The enclosure I am using is the one described in indilib.org/forum/general/2265-building-...d-housing.html#17029, thanks to Magnus Eriksen. It uses a cavity in which the TSL is installed, protected by a TPU gasket and a plexiglass window. I am not sure if the plexi affects much the sensor reading as I have not verified that yet.

The only drawback of the enclosure is the space available for the Arduino, it is very small and I had to use an Arduino Pro Mini to make things easier. Apart from that, the enclosure design is very nice and prints well with PETG.

Gilles
4 years 4 months ago #45902

Hi Gilles,
many thanks again for your update of the Arduino firmware for new new sensors. I tested it, everything works fine. Only for the meteoWeb page I needed to make some minor changes so that it could show the SQM values instead of IR-Radiance.

But with the variety of sensors comes in a new complexity for users. Depending on the specific set of sensors, users need to change both the firmware, the INDI skeleton file and in some cases even the HTML page and the python scripts.

What do you think if we reduce the Arduino firmware in such a way that it gives access to sensors, but all calculations are shifted up to the INDI driver. As a mid term goal it would be great if everything can be configured through the INDI driver without touching the firmware.

Does that make sense?
-- Wolfgang
4 years 3 months ago #46466

Hello Wolfgang,

Thanks for your encouraging comments, they are very much appreciated.

Jasem has asked me to work on the MeteoStation documentation which would benefit from a refresh and an up-to-date upgrade, given the possibility of new/different sensors. I am thinkering on that while working on my automated observatory, based on Gonzo the Great's idea and concept. So time is shared between family and many projects and things don't get done as quickly and efficiently as I would wish.

Back to your suggestions, the users who embark on building the indiduino MeteoStation need to specify whatever sensors they intend to use so there is no easy way around configuring the firmware. Maybe we could put the sensor configuration elements (sensors related #define) in an include file instead of the actual "indiduinoMETEO.ino" file. The users would only have to edit that "indiduinMETEO.h" file and we could put enough info in it to make it simple to configure. the INDI skeleton files should not require modification if you use the appropriate 'virtual' driver (Arduino MeteoStation or Arduino MeteoStation SQM) but I can take a look at that to make sure. Concerning the HTML page and python scripts, not having much experience there, I can't unfortunately be of much help, even though I can have a look.

As far as reducing the Arduino firmware and shifting calculations to the INDI driver, as the firmware is based on the Arduino firmata sketch, I am not sure this can be done easily. I am far from being an expert (more like novice) with firmata so I do not really know what is involved in that change. Furthermore, except for the SQM sensor which adjust its gain and integration time in the firmware, all the other sensors just provide values that are scaled and sent to the /usr/bin/indi_duino driver. I will take a closer look at what we can do to make things easier but can't promise much yet.

Thanks again for your ideas/suggestions/comments.

Gilles
4 years 3 months ago #46540

I think updating the documentation is top priority, but it should not be too complicated. Maybe you have the chance to update the Arduino part. I think the Trinket Pro isn't the best choice, since it needs an additional FTDI chip for USB connection. Understanding this took me a while, since it was my first Arduino project. Using an Arduino Nano or a Arduino Pro Mini is a lot easier, since they bring a full fledged USB Serial interface.

Just one hint: with your change the HTML code needs an update as well to show the SQM values.

Regarding the code change: I have an idea how it could work. We could build an INDI driver on top of the current firmware making part of it superfluous. When I find some time, I'll make a suggestion.

I sent you a PM here in the forum so that we can exchange our ideas without discussing everything here in all details.

Wolfgang
4 years 3 months ago #46544

I will try to make the documentation as simple as possible and, as you suggest, document the Arduino part as well as the firmware. As you mention, an Arduino (e.g. Arduino Nano) with USB connection would be easier to use for most but as I was using the 3D printed enclosure as presented by Magnus Eriksen in indilib.org/support/tutorials/177-howto-...station.html?start=2 , I used an Arduino Pro Mini that is small enough to fit in the 3D printed enclosure but do not have a USB connection. I use a USB to FTDI cable to connect. Different enclosures may be more adequate for larger Arduino parts.

From a system I found on the web, I have a prototype ESP8266 based WiFi weather station that provides daily weather logs in csv format as well as in HTML format but I do not have an INDI driver for it. Its meant to be autonomous and solar powered. If major modifications are made from the original MeteoStation, we could look into writing an INDI driver for it.

Anyway, a lot to think about and, depending on people's interest, it may direct our choices.

Gilles
4 years 3 months ago #46585

• Thank you received: 15
Hi,

I am building this mySQMPRO controller which also contain BME280 and ir sensor which I can connect via INDI SQM. But when I try connect it using INDIduino meteostation SQM, it failed. Just quietly disconnected.

Hope you can help.

Regards,
Tom
4 years 3 months ago #46600

If you tried using the INDIduino MeteoStation SQM driver with the mySQMPRO firmware, it won't work as interaction between the driver and firmware will be different. INDIduino MeteoStation (legacy or SQM) are based on the Firmata firmware and, as such, you need to flash your Arduino with the INDIduino MeteoStation firmware found in the 3rdparty branch of the INDI software. More specifically in ".../indi/3rdparty/indi-duino/devices/Firmwares/indiduinoMETEO/indiduinoMETEO.ino".

If you want to give it a try, do not forget to uncomment the appropriate #define for your sensors, and comment those that you don't use, in indiduinoMETEO.ino.

Sincerely,
Gilles
4 years 3 months ago #46601

• Thank you received: 0
Hello. I had working the Arduino MteoStation with all sensors, TSL2992, DHT22, MLX90614 and TSL2095 before the last updates. Now I receive RAW data correctly buth EKOS show Clouds(%), Temperatura(C) and Sky Temp(c) = 0. Anyone have the same behaviour?
4 years 2 months ago #47672
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.598 seconds