INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Should simulators always load the default configuration?

• Thank you received: 138
From what I can see when Ekos/Indi is started the simulators will always load their configuration from the .default file, even when there is an xml file with an updated configuration. I've seen this with the CCD Simulator and guide simulator. I'm trying to set the simulators to match my hardware and it's causing all sorts of errors in Ekos because properties don't match.

Should the simulators prefer to load from their XML file, only using the .default file if there is no .xml file present? I can have a go at fixing this if that's what should happen.
4 years 4 months ago #45932

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It looks as if neither the .xml nor the .default configuration files are used, the initial data is what is set in the code and the configuration files seem to be ignored.

Could I be looking in the wrong place? I'm looking in the hidden .indi directory in my home directory for CCD Simulator_config.xml and CCD Simulator_config.xml.default.

Perhaps this is CCD driver specific, I can change things for other drivers, for example setting up the main and guide scope properties in the mount driver but for a real CCD driver there may be little need to change things.

Chris
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Chris Rowland.
4 years 4 months ago #45964

I seem to be talking to myself here.

After a couple of days trying things, none of which had any effect, I gave up and edited my copy of the sources so the defaults are what I want. This works.

BTW the guide simulator was even more puzzling, The change to the simulator properties seemed to work as far as the Indi display was concerned and acquiring an image using the indi Server worked but getting an image using the guide module of KStars didn't because the image height requested was too large. I had changed the height from 1024 to 960 to match my sensor. The driver used 960 but seems to have been sent a frame height of 1024. Setting the height to 960 in the code fixed this as well.
4 years 4 months ago #46086

• Thank you received: 104
Hi Chris,

Not sure if this is documented somewhere but my understanding is the saved setting is loaded only if a client send CONFIG_PROCESS.CONFIG_LOAD or CONFIG_PROCESS.CONFIG_DEFAULT
CONFIG_LOAD load from the file driver_name.xml and CONFIG_DEFAULT load from driver_name.xml.default.
driver_name.xml.default is saved the first time the client call CONFIG_PROCESS.CONFIG_SAVE, the next time it save to driver_name.xml. So driver_name.xml.default is not necessarily the hardcoded values.
I don't know how KStars manage CONFIG_PROCESS, but in my applications I have a check box if the user want CONFIG_PROCESS.CONFIG_LOAD be send after the device is connected.
4 years 4 months ago #46166

Thanks for the response Patrick.

I see what you mean but it isn't how other properties seem to work. For example if I change the debugging or logging properties, then press Save, I get the properties I have set, not the hard coded ones. This also applies to properties such as the telescope aperture and focal length. No need to click on Load.

It only seems to be the simulator properties in the CCD and Guider simulators. And the guide simulator seems to partially change the simulator properties, as if the hard coded values are saved for some things but not for others. My guess is that the hardcoded values set in InitProperties need to be updated at a later stage and anything that's already set needs to be reset but I haven't found out how.
4 years 4 months ago #46167

Time to create page: 1.276 seconds