INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Issue Hunt: A New way to fund INDI Driver Development

• Thank you received: 23
great idea - I've added a fiver to help show some support!
3 years 8 months ago #56488

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 23
Crap - you are thinking about this much harder and much more fully than I did, you make a lot of great points. I have no easy answers.
3 years 8 months ago #56489

Ok I'm genuinely shocked by this. Maybe it's my fault I haven't been paying attention (INDI has grown so much recently). But the INDI EQMod driver is perhaps the most popular INDI mount driver ever and I'm not sure who was advising users against it. I use it for my observatory all the time and I'm sure everyone who has a SkyWatcher mount uses this over Synscan. At any rate, I don't think this forum post is the right place to talk about this, so I'll email you and we'll take it from there.
3 years 8 months ago #56494

• Thank you received: 88
Thanks, this may be effectively somewhat complex. And I totally agree with you, Chris, and really hope some manufacturers will come support the Indi team.
There has been a very huge investment from many people here and that's great. And at that point, it becomes crucial to find developpers and ensures
good quality code production/revision (I note revision mainly for indi-eqmod as this is really not my first quality, if any).
Let me somewhat reword my preceding post:
- there is no personal attack in it, I won't never cite anyone, I notice one particular behavior from my point of view
- I consider that this behavior may eventually imply some problems involving me directly as long as funding/money is involved and I have no control over it.
Concerning indi-eqmod, my name is at the top of every files, that's a point.
- I actually suggest that the simple way to resolve this is that the ownership be somewhat formally transferred to Indi (sed -e "s/geehalel@gmail.com/Indi/g")
- As manipulation is a very common technique, I don't want to get the feeling to have been fooled. In such a situation, you need "to know".
- And to not limit this transfer to a simple substitution, it would be nice if, for instance, it consists in some rewriting with code quality in mind,
made by an internship supervised by a QA manager, hopefully funded by a manufacturer (hmmm, "the" manufacturer, let's have a dream...)

Writings in social network may have great impact for other people. As you noticed in my case, I just now doubt, and this will remain permanent for me, regarding any open source project teams.
These words are somewhat moral, some people don't care morality, I do. And I also care software ownership. And I really dislike to have to write such things.

@Jasem We have been posting at the same time, I however leave this post here for posterity ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
3 years 8 months ago #56496

• Thank you received: 223
The all Indi has grown immensely lately, it is a real solid alternative to ASCOM. I would not have my observatory without Indi.
I do hope that this way of driver development is not going to damage the Indi reputation or do any damages to the Indi community.

May I advice something, before any money gets collected that a new driver gets tested by multiple independent users?
3 years 8 months ago #56558

• Thank you received: 16
I would have no problem funding for drivers and/or features that I could find useful or just over overall accelerate the stability and reliability of the program.
3 years 8 months ago #56670

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds