INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Current MacOS Build?

• Thank you received: 223
3 years 4 months ago #62300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
The following user(s) said Thank You: AirBourn
3 years 4 months ago #62358

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by AirBourn on topic Current MacOS Build?

Excellent, thank you. Now running 3.5.0 on macOS Catalina 10.15.7.
3 years 4 months ago #62368

Any thoughts or concerns on Big Sur? Anyone tried it?
3 years 4 months ago #62848

• Thank you received: 420
I upgraded to Big Sur and tried the current stable KStars on it with the simulators. All seems to work fine but I didn't do a very exhaustive test.
3 years 4 months ago #62854

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Current MacOS Build?

Yes, I am not expecting any issues with running KStars on Big Sur, since they haven’t announced too many changes except for UI changes, some new features in programs, and the Apple silicon support.

Also, for the time being at least, I don’t think there will be an issue at first with running KStars on Apple Silicon because Apple has built in Rosetta 2 to make sure all your intel code runs on the new systems. However, with the power pc to intel transition, eventually they took Rosetta away. So we can probably expect the same to happen here. INDI does require some driver binaries from manufacturers and these will probably need silicon versions. And for the KStars and INDI code, we can make universal binaries that will work on both systems, but they are of course larger.

Where we will run into some trouble is in the newest version of Xcode. I got some reports from folks trying to build using my script who said it wasn’t working with Xcode 12. I found that the main issue was that one of the build flags in the new clang distributed with that is by default set to treat an issue that used to be a warning as an error. This caused a bunch of problems with building open source libraries and programs needed for KStars. I am working through those issues now. I don’t think it will permanently be a problem, just a headache for awhile until I sort it out.
3 years 4 months ago #62863

Loaded up Big Sur today and running KStars/Ekos now. No issues noted so far.
Last edit: 3 years 5 days ago by AirBourn. Reason: Typo
3 years 4 months ago #62874

I'm seeing an issue with MacOS v3.5.0. Several times now, in the middle of an imagining sequence, I'll click on the Setup/Summary tab and Ekos IMMEDIATELY crashes and disappears. Have to start all over again. I don't think I have any logging turned on, and didn't grab the report generated (to send to Apple). I can look at the OS console logs if anyone thinks that'll help. Anyone else seeing this behavior?
3 years 4 months ago #62963

Hi AirBourn,

Please don't send the reports to apple because we won't get the information at all. Try to send any crash reports to either the KStars Developers directly, post them in the forum, or send them as a KDE bug report. We can't get any information you send to apple, and honestly I don't know what apple would be able to do with it, since it's the KStars developers that would need to fix any bugs.

Also note that the 3.5.0 beta that I sent earlier was definitely in a rough draft form. We have made many changes since then. I just spent the last few days trying to make a whole bunch of changes to the KStars Mac build script to update it to work with Xcode 12. I am hoping to release another version soon, but there is still a Mac bug we need to resolve, where the File dialog disappears if you open it in the capture module while guiding.

Thanks,

Rob
3 years 4 months ago #62964

I wasn't going to send to Apple at all - I can just grab them (it's a register dump, etc) if someone here wanted to see them. I've used them before.
Yes - I'm aware that 3.5.0 is Beta, and I'm the one that reported the File Dialog issue. I was just reporting this here because I thought that was the place to do it. Is there a better place? Like the GitHub page with the script that we've been discussing the XCode 12 build?

I have many many years of Mac development experience and trying to help. I have the OS crashlog of this event (three of them, actually) if someone is interested. Looks like it crashed in <code>QLabel::setPixmap(QPixmap const&) + 20</code>
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by AirBourn.
3 years 4 months ago #62965

Yep, this place here is perfectly fine. Putting this sort of thing on the script's Github page doesn't make sense because this report is not a bug with the script it sounds like a bug in KStars.

We really need to get you to test the latest KStars code though because that build is now 2 weeks old. There are likely a number of issues that have been fixed. KStars development has been extremely active recently.

We would certainly welcome you to help out with development if you are interested. We are all volunteers who are astronomers and astrophotographers ourselves. This is definitely not our day job. My day job is a Physics and Computer Science teacher. We are all programming enthusiasts. So yes, if you have years of Mac development experience, we could use you :-). I know that I for one have not had as much time for coding recently because I'm having to reinvent everything for my lessons due to remote learning.
3 years 4 months ago #62966

Great! I'll continue to place bug reports here (or similar forum), unless you think I should engage on the GitHub for KStars? Or both? The Setup/Summary tab crash is definitely a reproducible bug on this Beta build.

How do I help contribute? Dive in to the repo? I do occasionally perform git pulls to see if the build will work here on an XCode 12 machine. Haven't seen updates in a while. We're getting closer - but still fails on some Craft endgame, and I'm not familiar with Craft in the slightest.

On a 3.5.0 positive side - I had an automatic unattended meridian flip and reacquire last night!
3 years 4 months ago #62975

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds