INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

indi_celestron_aux

• Thank you received: 30

Replied by T-Studio on topic indi_celestron_aux

www.cloudynights.com/topic/812944-homebr...page-2#entry11741433

The explanation of the developer of the above circuit is easy to understand.
2 years 1 month ago #81015
The topic has been locked.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic indi_celestron_aux

Need help with the driver after the recent refactor... anyone willing to step in to help with the coding?
2 years 1 month ago #81027

Mr.JASEM
I am always grateful for your help.

For WIFI connection, there is a module sold as a commercial product by Celestron, but for AUX → USB connection, there is no commercial product.

Perhaps the module developed by mload in the link below is the only module that works fine.

www.cloudynights.com/topic/812944-homebr...aux-port/?p=11735066

I created a WIFI module and an AUX → USB module, but they are working so I can check if the driver update.
Currently, I have confirmed the two problems mentioned in the requested topic.

1. The driver does not connect with AUX → USB connection.

2. Since the coordinates of the equatorial mount are only fork type and there is no coordinate of the German equatorial mount, the coordinates will shift by 6 hours when GOTO with the German equatorial mount.
2 years 1 month ago #81051
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Peter on topic indi_celestron_aux

I built a cable according to these instructions
www.nexstarsite.com/PCControl/RS232Cable.htm
I plugged it into the PC port if my CPC800.
I was not able to connect using this driver because gpsd claimed it so I disabled gpsd.
Now I can connect but beyond that I cannot figure out what is going on. The mount moves to all sorts of weird places. The cord wrap seems to be ignored. I am in the southern hemisphere.
2 years 4 weeks ago #81774

Replied by Peter on topic indi_celestron_aux

I built a cable according to the instructions on the celestron website
I plugged it into the PC port if my CPC800.
I was not able to connect using this driver because gpsd claimed it so I disabled gpsd.
Now I can connect but beyond that I cannot figure out what is going on. The mount moves to all sorts of weird places. The cord wrap seems to be ignored. I am in the southern hemisphere.
2 years 4 weeks ago #81775

When connecting to a PC port, you need to create a terminal with the following link.

www.nexstarsite.com/PCControl/ProgrammingCable.htm

It is described to avoid confusion.

・ Bottom of hand controller → USB MINIB or RJ9
For USBMINIB terminal, connect to PC with USBMINIB → A cable (UART)
For RJ9 terminal, connect to PC with the attached serial cable + serial USB cable

・ PC terminal (RJ45 terminal such as CPC)
www.nexstarsite.com/PCControl/ProgrammingCable.htm

・ AUX or HC terminal (RJ12)
Sky Portal Wi-Fi Module or self-made circuit is required to connect directly

tstudioastronomy.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-515.html

Ports that can be connected serially (or UART)

1. Terminal at the bottom of the hand controller

2. PC port(CPCetc)

Will be.

Sky Portal Wi-Fi Module or the above self-made circuit is required to connect the AUX port directly to the PC.
Last edit: 2 years 4 weeks ago by T-Studio.
2 years 4 weeks ago #81799

ps.

This driver supports

It is a direct connection using the SkyPortal Wi-Fi module that connects to the PC port, the USB port of the main unit, the AUX or the HC port.

There is no optional connection cable for the AUX or HC port, so you will have to build your own circuit.

However, there is a bug in 1.9.4 or later, and even if you make your own AUX or HC port connection circuit, you cannot connect via USB. (WIFI-TCP only, SkyWatcher ALT-AZ driver has the same bug)
2 years 4 weeks ago #81801

Replied by Andrew on topic indi_celestron_aux

I know this is a few months old, but I'm having the exact same problem. I'm connected to a Celestron CGEM with the "SkyLink" WiFi adapter plugged into the Aux port and using the INDI "AUX" driver. Everything connects great and the mount moves in the right directions when using the virtual hand controller. I can sync to a star and it shows the correct RA/DEC values, but as soon as I tell it to goto a nearby star (only a short distance away), the mount shoots off in the opposite direction and I have to mash the STOP button to stop the camera crashing into the mount.

I've gone back to connecting through the hand controller with a USB/Serial ST4 cable which works great. Downside is you have to align with the HC first before using INDI.

One thing I did catch out of the corner of my eye, was when doing a goto, the virtual hand controller flashes "error" for a fraction of a second and then immediately changes to "slewing"
1 year 11 months ago #82983

This is fixed in INDI 1.9.6 (or so I hope). The only missing configuration right now is Wedge. Alt-Az + Equatorial should in principle work OK. Might need to adjust tracking PID parameters (for Alt-Az mounts).
1 year 11 months ago #83052
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Rob on topic indi_celestron_aux

I've tried playing with this a couple times after updating to the latest... and there are still some issues.

I have a CGEM-II mount with the SkyPortal WiFi.
Raspberry Pi 4 with StellarMate OS and an additional wifi dongle (one connects to home network, one to the Celestron WiFi)
After working around a version issue with libgphoto2, I was able to run update_indi_core and update_indi_drivers.

What I saw was very similar to what Andrew described.

The mount connects and initializes with a seemingly random coordinate; so I sync to Polaris (roughly polar aligned).
The new coordinates look right; If I goto Polaris, it stays put... which is good.
But if I go to any other nearby star, it shoots off somewhere completely different (usually to a position that would damage equipment).

Also, unless I have a hand controller plugged in or go through alignment in SkySafari, there seems to be an artificial stop in one direction of the RA motor.
But, after any form of alignment (through hand controller or app) that artificial stop goes away.
However, I verified this happens when using the manual controls in SkySafari as well, if I have not run an alignment.

I also verified that if I run the alignment in SkySafari, it will then accurately slew the scope to selected targets within SkySafari (so, it can work).
1 year 10 months ago #83290

Please submit the mount logs.
1 year 10 months ago #83294

Replied by Andrew on topic indi_celestron_aux

I tried logging the mount but got an error message.

I've attached the message.

I manually created the directory it was looking for and did a few mount commands, but didn't see any log files in that directory.

Attachment not found

Also, just got this error message, still nothing in the logs folder though.

"2022-06-02T23:36:10: [ERROR] TELESCOPE_TRACK_MODE: newSwitchVector with no valid members"
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Andrew. Reason: new info
1 year 10 months ago #83313
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.692 seconds