INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

indi_celestron_aux

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by Fabrizio on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hi all,
there is a more complete version of the driver at github.com/fabriziop/indi-3rdparty/tree/celestronaux_eqtrack .

After some tests I have seen that for correct equatorial pointing the Alignment Subsystem needs two sync points at least. If you have only one point, the GOTOs seem to slew in AltAz mode, even if the mount type selection is set to equatorial. So, when you are slewing toward the second sync point remember that GOTOs works in AltAz, while Mount Control box arrows obviously no.

Another trick comes from longitude/latitude non set in INDI panel > Celestron AUX > System Management. I added an error message for this case.

Any test is welcome, thanks in advance.
3 years 3 months ago #65053
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Frederik on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hello, I'm new here. I just posted a question regarding this topic, but I can't find it. So in short again... I bought the Stellarmate Plus for my Celestron Evolution Edge 8HD with an azimutal mount. I was told that Stellarmate works with this kind of mounting but the autoguide won't at the moment. As I was also told that you are all working on it, can you tell me if it will be supported?
Thanks a lot and best regards!
3 years 3 months ago #65054

About autoguide, as I told two message above, I am doing a sort of blind developing, since my scope (a CPC) is of site. Now, I am concentrated on equatorial mount functionality. I don't promise nothing, but I'll take a look to autoguide to complete the driver.
3 years 3 months ago #65056

Hey Fabrizio, thanks for your answer at first and of course for your work! As you are concentrated on the equitorial mount, it is right, that StellarMate is working with the Azimutal mount isn't it? Just as mentioned autoguide is missing at the moment...
Thank you for your help!
3 years 3 months ago #65059
  • Thank you received: 5

Replied by Kevin on topic indi_celestron_aux

Fabrizio, what is the best way to get the 2nd sync point added? I take it that we add the first one the same way with motion control. How then do we slew to the next point, plate solve and sync? If I try to manually move the mount with motion control, and PS and sync, the next time I try a goto in Kstars I get crazy movement.
Is there a catch? You mention moving in altz?
3 years 3 months ago #65072

Hello Kevin,

I do the following procedure (now I can only sync and not do a real PS)
1. using axis indexes, set physically the scope to RA/Dec = 0/0.
2. sync to 0/0.
3. slew RA with mount control arrows, for example, to be about -3h HA. Do not press Dec arrows. You will see that in spite of being equatorial, Dec changes also.
4. sync to HA = the displayed HA and Dec = 0. I have added a new feature to the Mount Control: you can copy the current displayed coordinates into input coordinate boxes by clicking above the displayed coordinates. For now, it is only merged in the kstars developement repo, so you need to build kstars from there.
5. from now on, I see regular scope movements.

Don't forget to set your latitude/longitude into INDI panel > Celestron AUX > System Management .

I have discovered also that any manual changes to the database of sync points (additions/deletions) take effect only after clicking on reinit of math plugin button of the Alignment Subsystem. The sync command is not affected, since it does automatically the reinit after the addition of each sync point.

I hope this can help.
3 years 3 months ago #65086

Further tests.

With the above procedure, after the 2nd sync, slewing RA only, I still see some changes in displayed Dec, few degrees. I think that the HA taken from the displayed coords is not correctly referenced to an equatorial frame with respect to the real scope motion, may be it is still AltAz. So I made the two sync points slewing the scope with its HC to HA/Dec 0/0 and -6h/0. Now, slewing RA only, from -6h/0 to 0/0, Dec changes less than 1 degree, this is probably due to my rough alignment to the sync points.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 3 months ago #65087

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic indi_celestron_aux

There might be a still few rough edges in the INDI Alignment Subsystem since this is one the first *real* uses for it in non-AltAz mounts. I believe Rick also found some issues . Would you mind moving the alignment discussion to that thread so that we can all work together to resolve any issues with it?
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
3 years 3 months ago #65088

Hello to all,
I'm sorry if I'm asking maybe stupid questions but StellarMate is new for me and I've just bought it. You're always talking of AltAz mounts. Is this the Azimutal mount? Jasem directed me to this thread, cause I wasn't sure if my Nexstar Evolution 8HD with its Azimutal mount is supported by StellarMate. It would be supported, but when I'm reading here I get a miitle bit confused. Maybe someone can get me back on the right way :) thanks a lot to you all!
Best regards
Frederik
3 years 3 months ago #65089

OK. Thanks Jasem.
3 years 3 months ago #65091

Yes, you are right, AltAz means Azimuthal. But the correct term is Altazimuth mount. To be precise, azimuthal is an adjective of something concerning the axis of motion of azimuth which is only one of the two axes of the altazimuth-mounted telescope. The other is the altitude axis.
3 years 3 months ago #65093

Thanks Fabrizio! So this is supported in StellarMate, but the Guiding is a problem, but you're working on this, as I hopefully understood right :)
Please let me know if I'm wrong.
Thanks a lot for your help!
Best regards
Frederik
3 years 3 months ago #65095
Time to create page: 1.170 seconds