INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

indi_celestron_cgx - direct usb connection to CGX/CGX-L

• Thank you received: 9
Hey Rick,

Received error on cmake: added /build/ to recover from error

jim@JWS:~/Projects/build/indi-celestron-cgx$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ~/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx
CMake Error: The source directory "/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx" does not exist.

From your README.md
Thank you in advance

Jim
Celestron CGX, QSI683 Astrodon Gen 2 E series LRGB, Ha, OIII, ES102CF, ZWO-ASI178MC, 60mm guide scope, Pegasus Focus Cube 2, Feather Touch Focuser.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Jim S..
3 years 3 months ago #63996

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 120
Hey Jim, I updated the build instructions in the readme. But the build directory should typically be a different directory than the source. In the instructions, I left out where to checkout the code to. Hope it is more clear now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim S.
3 years 3 months ago #63998

The new README.md directions worked, no issues. Thanks for your patience, been awhile since I have done command line or compiling.

I had some warnings on the make side and will wait for your reply prior to doing a make install.

Posted below after cmake:

/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/auxproto.cpp:305:11: warning: comparison of unsigned expression in ‘< 0’ is always false [-Wtype-limits]
305 | if (p < 0)
| ~~^~~
[ 50%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/indi_celestron_cgx.dir/celestroncgx.cpp.o
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp: In member function ‘bool CelestronCGX::handleCommand(AUXCommand)’:
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp:383:12: warning: enumeration value ‘MC_SET_NEG_GUIDERATE’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
383 | switch (cmd.cmd)
| ^
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp:383:12: warning: enumeration value ‘MC_AT_INDEX’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp:383:12: warning: enumeration value ‘MC_SEEK_INDEX’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp:383:12: warning: enumeration value ‘MC_ENABLE_CORDWRAP’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp:383:12: warning: enumeration value ‘MC_DISABLE_CORDWRAP’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp:383:12: warning: enumeration value ‘MC_SET_CORDWRAP_POS’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp:383:12: warning: enumeration value ‘MC_POLL_CORDWRAP’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp:383:12: warning: enumeration value ‘MC_GET_CORDWRAP_POS’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool CelestronCGX::SetTrackMode(uint8_t)’:
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp:689:41: warning: unused parameter ‘mode’ [-Wunused-parameter]
689 | bool CelestronCGX::SetTrackMode(uint8_t mode)
| ~~~~~~~~^~~~
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool CelestronCGX::SetCurrentPark()’:
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp:749:18: warning: comparison between ‘enum EQAlignment::TelescopePierSide’ and ‘enum INDI::Telescope::TelescopePierSide’ [-Wenum-compare]
749 | if (pierSide == PIER_WEST)
| ~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/jim/Projects/indi-celestron-cgx/celestroncgx.cpp:749:18: warning: comparison between types ‘EQAlignment::TelescopePierSide’ and ‘INDI::Telescope::TelescopePierSide’ [-Wsign-compare]
[ 75%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/indi_celestron_cgx.dir/simplealignment.cpp.o
[100%] Linking CXX executable indi_celestron_cgx
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jim/Projects/build/indi-celestron-cgx'
[100%] Built target indi_celestron_cgx
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jim/Projects/build/indi-celestron-cgx'
Celestron CGX, QSI683 Astrodon Gen 2 E series LRGB, Ha, OIII, ES102CF, ZWO-ASI178MC, 60mm guide scope, Pegasus Focus Cube 2, Feather Touch Focuser.
3 years 3 months ago #64001

Those warnings are fine. I still need to do some code cleanup. I tested this last night with an imaging session, and had a lot of success. The only thing that failed was the automated meridian flip, and I think I can fix that pretty easily. I was surprised at the goto accuracy I got. Once I was polar aligned, I was seeing about 3 arcminute accuracy in gotos, and sync and slew managed to get it the rest of the way. That was going from Saturn across the sky to the Heart Nebula.
3 years 3 months ago #64002

Outstanding ! Thank you Sir for being patient. At moment we have cloudy weather here but hope to test soon.

Jim

BTW it compiled fine on 20.10 Groovy Gorilla, I did not do anything with line 11. os: ["20.04", "18.04", "16.04"]
3 years 3 months ago #64003

Yeah, that line is just for automated builds using github actions. They aren't quite working well yet, but once they are, I'll set it up to generate releases in github, so it'll be easy to track new versions.
3 years 3 months ago #64005

When you use it, be sure to click the "Align" button in the INDI Control Panel once you are connected. That will send the mount to the "switch" position and get all the calculations ready for gotos.
3 years 3 months ago #64006

Rick,

That should be easy to remember as the HC requests go to 'switch' as its first command on power up. I will make a sticky note and place it on my laptop now :)

My normal setup procedure (I travel to dark sites, no observatory) is power on the HC/Mount then set the 'switch', power down. After that Polar Align using the PoleMaster. Then I power the mount back up, set 'switch' on the HC, followed by the alignment using the HC. Without the HC I should place the 'Align' button on the INDI Control Panel before and after polar alignment routine? Or will this create issues with the connection via software?

Thanks

Jim
3 years 3 months ago #64008

For now I would do it before the polar alignment, then again after. It just resets the simple alignment module I wrote back to a known position. I haven't used the polemaster before.

I would imagine in your case the workflow would look like this:

Connect to the mount using INDI, click the Align button.
Disconnect the mount from INDI, power down the mount.
Go through the polar align with polemaster.
Power it back on, connect using INDI, click the Align button again.
Do your normal imaging session. :)

On a side note, I would recommend trying out the polar align process in Ekos. It worked really well last night for me using this driver. That workflow would look like this:

Connect to the mount using INDI, click the Align button.
Using the Alignment tab in Ekos, do a polar alignment.
Click the Align button again.
Do your normal imaging session. :)
3 years 3 months ago #64009

I will try it using both. I am kinda partial to the PoleMaster as it cost me a pretty penny and I got the unit as I am not a big fan of the Celestron all star alignment routine or the polar scope as a 'side' mounted scope on the CGX.

Jim
3 years 3 months ago #64010

Yeah, the polar alignment routine in Ekos just works with the main camera on the scope, so no polar scope or side mounted scope needed.

Here's a good tutorial on it: www.stellarmate.com/support/ekos/align.html#mytoc14

Just be sure to select the proper speed in the drop down before clicking start. Sometimes it defaults to nothing or a really slow speed. I use Max.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black, Jim S.
3 years 3 months ago #64011
Attachments:

I think I got the meridian flip issue fixed. Just pull the latest from github and re-build. If the slew should move more than half a rotation, we go back to the home position first, then continue the slew. Helps with accuracy, as well, since we reset the tick count.
3 years 3 months ago #64022

Time to create page: 0.817 seconds