INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Build instructions (from scratch) need to be updated?

• Thank you received: 117
Edit: I have restructured this post, as the original problem turned out to be worse than described. Rather than make another post / chain, (more confusing), I've updated the OP entirely in an attempt to be concise. In the end, for those looking to build a Ubuntu kstars/ekos system from scratch, you'll need to know this information. It is current as of Feb 2021. Here's a revised OP:

I recently needed to build (from scratch) a new kstars/ekos Ubuntu environment. I tried to use the README.md instructions located here:

invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/blob/master/README.md

These instructions will not result in a successful build. There are too many missing pieces in those instructions to discuss them further here. IMO, that readme document probably just needs to go away or be made consistent with other more correct information.

In forum comment post #2 (from phomer), a reference to instructions located here was suggested:

indilib.org/forum/general/210-howto-buil...st-libindi-ekos.html

These instructions are MUCH closer to what is actually needed, but will also NOT create a successful Ubuntu build from scratch. What is wrong?:
1. MINOR: Section 1 instructions may not be needed at all (I didn't use bleeding). Note also that for Ubuntu 20.10, "sudo apt-get install gsc" won't work (not yet available). This limits the simulator, but it's not a show stopper.
2. MAJOR: A missing "sudo make install" is needed after building 3rd party INDI drivers. Just do this as the last step in section 3 (after the cmake instruction).
3. MAJOR: In section 4 (Building KStars from Source), the "sudo apt-get -y install command needs to be modified:
replace the kio-dev reference with libkf5kio-dev
4. MAJOR: Now that stellarsolver is included in kstars/ekos, a missing section between paragraph 3 (Building 3rd party INDI drivers) and 4 (Building Kstars from Source) is needed:
you must build stellarsolver from source: (Use: github.com/rlancaste/stellarsolver to familarize). To build:
- stellarsolver's build structure is done in ~/Projects (same level as for kstars).
- cd ~/Projects
- git clone github.com/rlancaste/stellarsolver.git (from "Installing the program" section of Rob's doc).
- Note there is no "./installLinux.sh script to build/install stellarsolver. Do this instead:
Go to the "Building the program" section of Rob's doc and manually execute the "Linux" steps as given.
5. MAJOR: In section 4 (Building KStars from Source), the block of code after "Now that all prerequisites are installed, you are ready to build Kstars" has a bad line:
Replace line #3 instruction: "git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kstars.git", and instead use: "git clone invent.kde.org/education/kstars.git" instead.

I believe this is it. It is unfortunate that neither the README.md file, nor the locked forum post instructions for linux builds are correct. IMO, the main kstars/ekos developers should consult and resolve these issues so that users will have correct information for builds. In that spirit, I ask the developers to please fix the instructions. I will soon attempt to do a similar exercise for PI builds and post that separately if successful.

Cheers, Doug
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Doug S. Reason: clarification
3 years 1 month ago #67117

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31
3 years 1 month ago #67126

OP revised....so this follow-on post is now OBE.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Doug S. Reason: essentially deleted due to OP revision
3 years 1 month ago #67153

• Thank you received: 559
I tried the README.md build instructions and tested them on a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 (after 'sudo apt update; sudo apt dist-upgrade').  
It turns out the instructions were missing the line

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
which adds the ppa where libstellarsolver-dev comes from.

After including that command, the README.md Ubuntu build instructions worked and successfully built KStars on a fresh dist-upgraded Ubuntu 20.04.
I've updated README.md, and it now should be accurate for building KStars on Ubuntu 20.04.

I'm not familiar with Fedora, and didn't update the instructions for that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug S
3 years 1 month ago #67225

Thank you Hy for looking into this. Of course Murphy's law requires that of the two possible paths (README.md or Orig/locked forum post), the first person to investigate must necessarily go down the harder path! I'm going to keep a positive outlook and assume that having done this, and knowing that one or more posts have said that the PPA doesn't work for PI architecture, that the harder road will lead toward a successful Pi build. The jury's still out on that..... Cheers, Doug
3 years 1 month ago #67230

An update:

FWIW, I successfully built a Pi4 development environment this morning on top of SM OS (apparently only slightly different from starting from an AB base). As Hy noted in his post, the more simple/corrected README.md instructions now work for building an Ubuntu dev env. To build a Pi (Raspian buster) dev env, start with an up-to-date SM OS or AB base, and then follow the more detailed OP instructions, starting from OP list item #3 downward (this assumes the comment in indilib.org/forum/general/210-howto-buil...st-libindi-ekos.html about PPA not being for Pi is still true).

In the end, building a Pi dev env turned out to be only slightly more complicated than the Ubuntu instructions. If you've been wanting a Pi dev env but procrastinating because of perceived difficulty, rest assured it's doable. Note that a "no-SD" SSD config is going to be faster and more reliable for sure. It still took an hour to build the source on the Pi with the SSD. Thanks again to Hy for his help....much appreciated. Cheers, Doug

Edit: Another Hy derived suggestion:
It may very well be that only step 3 and step 5 are needed from the OP, but WITH a modified step 4. That step would replace building all the stellarsolver source with just the following:
sudo apt install libstellarsolver (possibly already installed as part of base)
sudo apt install libstellarsolver-dbg
sudo apt install libstellarsolver-dev
I didn't give this a try, but it could save others the steps involved in building stellarsolver source.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Doug S.
3 years 1 month ago #67266

Time to create page: 0.367 seconds