INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Possibility to connect RRCI Roll of roof? [Solved]

• Thank you received: 0
Hi there,
Can maybe anybody tell me if there is the possibility to use RRCI roll of roof controller (create.arduino.cc/projecthub/cfar/rollin...face-rrci-fb851f?f=1) in EKOS?
Would be great if there was an easy way to connect to it via KStars. If there is any option please let me know.
Best,
Michael
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Michael.
1 year 6 months ago #86392

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Not until an INDI driver is developed, you can ask the author about making one if they have time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael
1 year 6 months ago #86403

• Thank you received: 52
Something that may get you closer on the INDI side is work by WOTALOTA.
Check out thread:
www.indilib.org/forum/development/7183-i...rduino.html?start=12

The GIT seems to have moved for the source.

Gene
1 year 6 months ago #86407

• Thank you received: 42
It appears to be a somewhat parallel effort to the Rolloffino but for ASCOM. An ASCOM driver plugin, an Arduino sketch using a matching protocol and a commercial controller such as a gate opener. You could take the Rolloffino driver code as a guide or basis for INDI and ask the RRCI author if he could provide one for the RRCI. The communication protocol would be made to match what the RRCI Arduino sketch uses.

Alternatively you could directly use the Rolloffino driver and its matching Arduino sketch along with the same commercial controller. There is some customization of the Aruino sketch needed to define the pin assignment you chose to use wiring up the relay and sensors. Depending on how comfortable one is modifying and loading sketches, help is available. The sources are still at github.com/wotalota/indi-rolloffino I hope at some point to get them into the INDI 3rdparty area. Because I have not yet figured out how to get the HTML sub-directory to display in its finished form in github the following is just a short cut link to the overview doc at filedn.com/lbwlawm4qYUuekxBMA2mvSS/indi/rolloffino.html

Under indilib.org > Devices > Domes some of the other available INDI roof drivers are outlined.
1 year 6 months ago #86410

Dear Jasem,
I just tried. Curious if he will respond. My best hope was that similar protocols are shared with one of the INDI roof drivers.
Thank you.
1 year 6 months ago #86421

Dear Gene,
Thank you. looks great. I'll have a look into it.
1 year 6 months ago #86422

Dear Wotalota,
Rolloffino actually looks great. I'd prefer to use the hardware and get your driver running.
I'll have a look into it and hope I'll figure out how to set it up. Can I contact you if I get stuck?
Best,
Michael
1 year 6 months ago #86423

Sorry, Tom.
I need to disturb you. After checking your links (which helped me a lot) it seems to me like your rolloff.ino.standard is the easiest way to go.
If I understood it correctly, all I really need to do is adjust the pins in the first couple of rows and I should be good to go. Although the pinout for relays seems to be already correct.
Could you just confirm that the script is using Relay1 for switching? The pinout for sensors seems to be even better than expected from RRCI so I think it is even easier to just switch connections.
Looks to me like rolloff.ino is the thing I was searching for the whole time.
Thank you
Best regards,
Michael
1 year 6 months ago #86432

• Thank you received: 42
Michael,
What type and model will you be using, also is the Arduino type a Uno?

Yes if you are going to use the rolloff-ino.standard sketch done for a Uno. It maps open, close and abort to relay 1 which is set to use pin 4. It is for a one button controller that has its own limit sensors to stop when end of travel is reached. Depending on the relay you are using it might need a HIGH or a LOW on pin 4 to put to close the NO normally open contact. The default is that a HIGH closes the relay. If yours is the opposite flip the HIGH/LOW codes in the setRelay routine.

Separate open and closed switches are needed to indicate to the driver when the roof is fully opened or closed. With an Arduino open switch values tend to float. Meaning when read one time they might return a high and another time return low. So best to pull the open switch to ground or to the positive power voltage with a high value resistor. 10K ohm is common. Some models of Arduino's like the Mega have internal resistors that can be used. The default code is expecting that a low value will indicate that the switch is closed, so a pullup resistor should be used for the open switch setting. See OPEN_CONTACT_HIGH definition and its usage if you want to change that. The defaults for the opened/closed switches: Opened/switch1/pin A0, Closed/switch2/pin A1.

Off-line testing is not a bad idea to check you have these things reliably working before connecting up to the roof.
Regards
Tom
1 year 6 months ago #86438

Dear Tom,
Thank you very much. This is what I needed to know.
Yes, mine is the Uno and I have a one-button system. The amount of travel is preprogrammed and it has a soft start/stop. All I need is the relay to send a pulse to the motor.
Thank you so much.
Best,
Michael
1 year 6 months ago #86441

Dear Tom,
I left rolloffino standard (pinout works perfectly for me). No modifications were needed and it runs like a charm.
It runs like a charm, was even much easier to get it working so I completely ditched RRCI.
Thank you a lot.
Best,
Michael
1 year 6 months ago #86560

Time to create page: 5.388 seconds