INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Nexdome Beaver will not slave

• Thank you received: 0
I've also posted this on cloudynights.

I have a new NexDome with the Beaver controller. The software is served off a Stellarmate and controlled remotely via MacOS using kstars and ekos.

Last night I had trouble getting the dome to slave to the mount. Eventually (and quite accidentally) I managed to get it to work. I got almost 8 hours of images.

But tonight I cannot repeat my success. I have tried disable/enable slaving, pressing abort, park, unpark. Nothing is working.

Any ideas out there?
1 year 4 months ago #88953

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Fixed! (Also posted on cloudy nights)

It seems that the dome will not start following the mount unless the mount is in its programmed park position. What I mean is that the mount needs to be in the position programmed as "park" in the hand controller. I have an ioptron CEM120EC2, so no doubt this is related to that driver plus the NexDome beaver.

The root cause was that I set that "park" position to west side vertical to prevent mechanical interference with the dome. Its a tight fit. However, I ordinarily start my observing session from the "zero" position since that makes it easier for me to fit into the dome and access my computer. In kstars, when I select my alignment target near the pole, it thinks that the mount is parked. But the dome apparently does not. So when I use kstars to move the mount to a target, the dome ignores it.

Here's what works:

- Assume the mount is pointing somewhere other than its programmed "park" position
- In the ekos dome tab, park the dome
- In the ekos mount tab, park the mount (and get out of the way!)
- In the ekes dome tab, unpark the dome. Now, the dome moves to align with the mount park position
- In the ekos mount tab, unpark the mount (this might work too from kstars, but I haven't tried that one)

Now the dome is slaved to the mount and one can proceed as normal.

If the developers see this, maybe a new feature might be a button under the ekos/dome tab to have the dome re-sync and follow the mount from any state or position. Just a suggestion.
1 year 4 months ago #89071

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.323 seconds