INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

"Dome parking / Telescope parking" policy

Great analysis Chris. So yes as you correctly pointed out, the watchdog driver now does not manage whether parking/unparking is permitted given the policy. I think this is next step. Maybe this should pave the way to remove all the interlocks logic from dome/mount drivers and just let Watchdog manage these for those who are worried about this situation. This certainly simplifies the drivers quite a bit and they can concentrate on their core functionalities instead.

Consequently, when the user selects "Mount locks" then that means it should prevent mount from unparking if the dome is parked. Since now this is implemented in the mount driver, the unparking itself is prevented from happening in the first place. However, if we move this functionality to Watchdog, then the mount will unpark normally. However, upon detecting this, the watchdog driver would then force a park command to the mount to revert the unparking action. It's not ideal of course, but if we consider moving this logic completely outside, then this is how I see it panning out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
3 years 8 months ago #56898

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 138
Thanks Jasem,

I think that the mount park lock functionality should stay in the telescope base class because it can prevent unpark and a subsequent slew before it starts. The WDT may not know that the mount has unparked for long enough that a slew into the roof is already in progress. The functionality seems to belong in the telescope base class which snoops on the dome park state. It shouldn't affect individual drivers because it's implemented in the base class.

But the mount lock UI seems to belong with the other observatory management functionility in the WDT. Is it possible to have this? The UI in the WDT but the functionality in the telescope base class. This doesn't seem to fit with the way that Indi properties are implemented.

Or is it possible to implement some sort of check functionality where the telescope and dome driver checks the WDT to see if it's OK to unpark? I suppose that's more snooping.

Chris

3 years 8 months ago #56903

Yes that would require more snooping. I just pushed a commit that simplifies things a bit:

1. Style fixes.
2. Telescope Parking Policy --> Mount Policy
3. Dome Parking Policy --> Dome Policy
4. Removed weather handling in INDI::Dome. It should be handled by Watchdog driver or external client.
5. Simplified mount and dome locking policies:
5.1. Mount Locks: This prevents dome from parking unless mount is already parked.
5.2. Dome Locks: This prevents mount from unparking unless dome is already unparked.
5.3. All other options removed.
6. Removed INDI::Dome AutoPark, since this it does not parking on weather alert anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
3 years 8 months ago #56927

• Thank you received: 11
I;ve just upgrade to StellarMate 1.5.4 and am now seeing "Cannot unpark mount when dome is locking." when trying to simply unpark my EDMOD mount. I've never seen this error message before, have never had a dome. I don't know what is causing this as I now can't image for the night if I can't get this resolved.

Where do you even check the settings for this please???
3 years 7 months ago #58623

• Thank you received: 42
Open the INDI control, telescope panel, in the options tab. Look for Dome Policy entry and change it to Dome Ignored.
3 years 7 months ago #58653
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 109
In the INDI control panel, go to your mount driver. On the Options tab, go to "Dome Policy" and set it to "Dome ignored" if you do not have a dome.

3 years 7 months ago #58655
Attachments:

And don't forget to click Configuration --> Save afterwards.
3 years 7 months ago #58656

• Thank you received: 223
While I was at my observatory I've been testing the roof closure while the mount is unparked (ie: in a position that would end in a roof/scope crash) and I'm pleased to see that the latest fixes are all good.
I can now stop stressing about "is the scope parked, will the roof come down crashing on the scope/mount"...

Please do make sure this dome/scope policy fix is locked in place and not changed. Thanks for all the coding work team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 6 months ago #60175

• Thank you received: 2
Hi to all,
I'dm close to build a remote observatory so I'm doing some tests with the setup i'd like to use for it.
All seem to work fine but I have some trouble with the dome policy option of my mount (HEQ5 driven by Eqmod).
The issue is that when I try to unpark the mount (with the dome lock option activated) with the dome closed ,it rightly dosen't move, but in ekos it appear as unparked and then does not respond to any command; the only way i have to regain the control of the mount is to restart indiserver.
I've done test both with dome simulator and aldiroof witch il the driver I'm using for the observatory.
Any suggestion?
3 years 2 weeks ago #68324

It only appears in this state in Ekos --> Mount module. But if you check the KStars toolbar, you can still unpark. You can add the telescope toolbar by going to Settings --> Toolbars shown --> Telescope

Nevertheless, I will fix the state issue in the mount module.
3 years 2 weeks ago #68367

• Thank you received: 2
Perfect!
Thank you Jasem
3 years 2 weeks ago #68377

Time to create page: 0.699 seconds