INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

DIY motorised roll-off observatory roof - what INDI driver?

• Thank you received: 42
Krish,
I updated the roolloff.ino.standard example with the same structure as the .ar1450 and the how-to description. Its setup is now for the Uno model using pullup resistors. Did a basic test of it using a Uno relay shield. There was an issue after uploading the sketch to the Uno the first use of the connection after that took several seconds to respond. The driver was modified to log a warning before continuing instead of an error. Consider running the build again to pick up these modified files.
2 years 4 months ago #77615

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Thank you
I will try it in a few days and let you know.
2 years 4 months ago #77632

2 years 4 months ago #77651

Tom
I tried this with your latest version.
It works just great.
Thank you very much for the work you put into it.
Now for me to pursue trying to load it onto my macOS. That is where I prefer running KStars with the RPI just being the server. macOS seems to be ok with building the folders and the libraries but does not want to accept the cmake commands.
Thanks again for your help.
2 years 4 months ago #77678

The MAC is running the Ekos client. The RPI server is where the drivers including the roof driver is running. It is on the RPI where you have already built and installed the driver. Then it does not seem there is an additional build needed on the MAC or am I misunderstanding?
Do you just need to be able to refer to the remote roof driver in the Ekos profile editor on the MAC?
2 years 4 months ago #77683

Hello Tom
I am sure it is most likely me that is misunderstanding how the Stellarmate(RPi) is meant to work as a server or still have not done something correctly loaded.
The way I run my system is:
1. I connect all my equipment to the StellarMate(RPi).
2. I run KStart/Ekos on my Mac
3. I set up a profile in "Remote" to the appropriate StellarMate(RPi) IP address.
4. Select all the devices/drivers that I have connected to the StellarMate(RPi). 
5. I start the profile that connects to the RPi via ethernet, either direct cable or wifi on my LAN network.
I do not see the RollOff ino as an option to be selected from any of the drop downs on the Mac.
In thinking about your response I tried something different to set up a profile, using the wizard.
I set profile this way and was able to see the driver and run the profile and I was able to see the RollOff ino in the Indi Control Panel.
However I did a stupid thing and accidentily deleted that profile and now I cannot repeat what I did.
Do you know a different way I should be doing this so I can see all the drivers on the StellarMate(RPi)
Thanks
Krish
2 years 4 months ago #77715

On the RPI there should be a file put there by the build you did.
/usr/share/indi/indi_rolloffino.xml

I run Ekos and the drivers on the same computer and there I can see the driver. I am unsure whether if the above file was in an equivalent directory on your MAC if that would allow the rolloffino driver to be seen like those drivers provided by the normal install.

On the MAC in your Ekos profile, in addition to the drivers you use from the normal install try adding the rolloffino one using the remote specification.
Just below where you select the drivers is the Remote field showing the syntax to use. If you hover over that field it show some specific examples. You want to use the name of the driver in a quoted string where case and spaces are significant.
"RollOff ino"@rpi-host:port

indiserver needs to be running on the RPI for it to work, perhaps the use of INDI web manager will take care of that? Port can default to the indiserver's default of 7624
2 years 4 months ago #77721

Hello Tom
I do have the file in the location that you referenced on the RPi. I can see the driver from the drop down Dome options in the profile creator on the RPi.
I do not know if such a folder/directory structure is created when KStars is installed on the macOS. I looked for something similar but could not find it. Someone else may know where that may be if it is on a macOS.
Thanks to you I learnt something new and used the "Remote" method and it works.
I set the Remote driver name as "@hostIPaddress:7624".
As indicated in the previous post. I can see the RollOff ino driver when I run Web Manager on my macOS. I select the drivers I want there and run that. 
I do not select any driver in the Ekos profile, except have the Remote one with that name and all of the devices show up and is connected on Indi Control Panel and Ekos.
Thanks to you and all the others that contribute..

2 years 4 months ago #77760

Hello everyone, i need help to motorised my roof but i dont know how to start.

I read this link made by Jasem: indilib.org/domes.html

i am using a mini-PC with linux mint and kstars/ekos version 3.6.9 and i see under domes driver -> rolloff ino
or in aux1 -> the arduino roof.
i dont know how connect the motor from my roof to the minipc and control open and close with ekos.
I think its use under Arduino Roll Off Driver, but i dont know what components to buy.
There are some video tutorial to do this? Somebody can help me?

Thanks!!!
2 weeks 1 day ago #99696

• Thank you received: 25
A very capable DIY solution is the Observatory Control System (OCS) from the author of OnStep. See onstep.groups.io/g/onstep-ocs/wiki.
There is an INDI driver available (that I wrote) but it's still in a beta state. I believe it's complete but there hasn't been a lot of real works testing yet.
2 weeks 1 day ago #99698

Ok i finally decided use this option:

Arduino Roll Off Driver: It is a INDI rolloff roof driver and includes two examples of Arduino programs communicating over USB. The driver is packaged as a third party driver but haa not been included with the standard distribution. The Arduino code needs to be modified to match the motor control selected, the INDI driver should work once installed.

so for this i need to know what components to buy and how to configure, so for this i have some questions:

1 - What arduino board its recomended (arduino nano, one R3, due, mega2560...?
2 - I do not understand this: "The Arduino code needs to be modified to match the motor control selected," its mean the arduino board need to load some file? i saw In git repository: github.com/wotalota/indi-rolloffino there are some files:
- rolloff.ino.ar1450
- rolloff.ino.bouton
- rolloff.ino.standard
- rolloff.ino.motor
- rolloff.ino.wifi

if i understood, i have to Upload a sketch in arduino board with content one of this files.... i am on right?
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Javier Albella.
2 weeks 1 day ago #99699

Javier,

You do not need to build the driver it can be selected in the Ekos profile editor.
In case you have not seen it: github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/blob/ma...no/doc/rolloffino.md

You mention already having a motor. Perhaps you have a roof already working using a garage door or gate opener controller? If so then it is usually just a case of connecting into the existing controller via relay or relays. The rolloffino driver relies on an Arduino to provde that kind of control.
Parts needed when working with an existing garage or gate controller, chosen to work with an existing Arduino code example: An Arduino Uno, and a relay shield for it. Switches that get activated when the roof reaches opened or closed. Let us know what you have & we can get specific. You will need to install the V2 Arduino IDE to download the sketch.

/Tom
2 weeks 1 day ago #99700

Time to create page: 1.309 seconds