INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Cannot connect to 2m Scopedome / Arduino

• Thank you received: 165
Good to hear about tracking working, sorry about the shutter controller... I'm currently also waiting for a new PCB for my controller, so I know the feeling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Frank Fleischmann
3 years 6 months ago #59815

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Got Windows driver source from ScopeDome so I can check some details from there, but the basic operation seems to be quite similar to the old card so should be fairly straight forward. I started the implementation with some restructuring and placeholders copied from old card code. I will probably implement USB connection first as that's simpler, but adding ethernet support after that should be quick. It requires HTTP so I'll probably use curl library for that as it's used by some other INDI drivers as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 6 months ago #60075

• Thank you received: 0
Dear jpaana,

curl is workling well.
Have a look to my ZIP some posts above.
Unfortunately commands are not blocking until finishing the job. So you have to check limit switches or something else additionally.

ClearSkies

Frank

PS.: 2 day ago I brought a small parcel to the post office ;-) I hope you like the content.
Name: Frank Fleischmann
Interests: nature, technics, astronomy, optics, space
Developments: motor control, sensors, networking, radio detectors astronomy, cameras for spacecrafts
Using: 3m Baader dome, 2m ScopDome, GM4000, EQ8, and homebrewed ones, echelle spectrograph and ... INDI
3 years 6 months ago #60121

It's actually better that they are non-blocking as things like abort wouldn't work very well otherwise. The older USB card works the same way, for example opening the shutter is just turning on a relay and the driver polls input status until the open limit switch triggers and turns the relay off. The hardware also stops the motors automatically when limits are reached. Currently the driver polls status every second by default, I wonder if that's too fast for the HTTP server in the Arduino as the driver source says the device should respond within 1-9s, but we'll see when you get to test it :)

PS: thanks, looking forward to that :)
3 years 6 months ago #60123

I noticed that the Arduino boards hangs up if you send commands too fast. Or if you press CNTRL-C while curl is still running.
Perhaps Arduino is limited to one or two html request(s) at the same time. Or it it not doing right garbage collection if there is a timeout or brake in protocol processing.
Developments: motor control, sensors, networking, radio detectors astronomy, cameras for spacecrafts
Using: 3m Baader dome, 2m ScopDome, GM4000, EQ8, and homebrewed ones, echelle spectrograph and ... INDI
3 years 6 months ago #60137

ScopeDome also promised to send me a card to test with next week so that should help a lot in initial bring up. Can't test stuff that requires a dome but at least basic communications and other simple things. Just need to get coding :)
3 years 6 months ago #60151

Great news! I can do beta testing for you. And you can connect to the my astroberry if you want to check your software in reality.
Last night we did PolarAlignment. But we will need next night additionally.
ScopeDome is moving automatically via my own driver, which is using the coordinates out of indi_getprop and transformed to ScopeDome-Azimut.
But it's only a provisional. So camera isn't waiting until end of movement and so on.

I hope to find the bug why the ScopeDome shutter stopped working (only emergency buttons are active). I don't have a Windows PC, but the Polish Manufacturer wants one with TeamViewer for debugging.
3 years 6 months ago #60162

Took a bit longer than expected, but got a pair of controller cards today. I need to make a custom Y-split cable to power them, but hopefully during this weekend I get to test the first skeleton code I wrote earlier. I can't test all the functions as the cards aren't connected to anything, but at least the basic communication and such. Once I get that phase done you could try it with your dome. Did you get the shutter working? Could it be that the link between the cards has become unpaired for some reason?
3 years 5 months ago #61325

Got the cable made and everything seems to be working at least over USB, didn't try ethernet yet. The driver detects the card as an Arduino card, but doesn't do much else yet, but progress :)
3 years 5 months ago #61374

Thank you very much for this good news.
Actually I am waiting for the repair of my dome electronics. I sent it to ScopeDome/Poland last week.
ScopeDome offered me a very fast repair and return.
Then I will test your driver as soon as possible.

My problem isn't pairing. I tried it by pressing the buttons outside of the box and after opening the boxes I tried to connect by pressing the button on the PCB directly.
3 years 5 months ago #61417

I tried to connect to both boxes via USB too.
lsusb has found the arduino card, but I wasn't able to get any answer by sending the commands listed in the pdf-manual :-( I tried many different combinations of baudrates and serial setups but no success.
But it was easy to connect via Ethernet 192.168.2.120 (default) and curl command.
3 years 5 months ago #61419

Both my cards work fine via USB at 9600 bauds, 8N1, used Arduino IDE's serial monitor to talk to them. Was a bit confusing at first because the older card uses 115200, but I guess 9600 is still quite enough.
3 years 5 months ago #61428

Time to create page: 1.591 seconds