INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Techinical Innovation Digital Dome Works Driver

• Thank you received: 0
It seems my entire observatory setup has drivers for my equipment except for one item... My 6' homedome DDW driver from Technical Innovations. I researched the forum and saw requests in the past( 5 years ago) but I'm assuming no development is in the works. What would be the best next steps? Is the only solution to try and get Technicial Innovations to develop an Indi driver? I'm assuming there is not enough interest or there are other issues preventing the development. I wish I had the skill to take a crack at it. I'm assuming you need to be competent in C++. I enjoy linux . It would be great to have an alternative solution to Windows. Thanks for any response.

Jim
3 years 6 months ago #60426

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 168
Our astronomy club has the DDW dome controller and I planned to take a shot at making a driver for it to be able to image Mars there with my Ubuntu laptop without manually rotating the dome, but haven't had the time as my precious little hobby programming time is currently taken by writing support for ScopeDome Arduino card in my ScopeDome driver. But good to know if there is additional interest, that would make it more motivating.

Taking an existing dome driver as a base and converting the command set is in theory fairly straight forward as most controllers have a text based serial protocol and similar functionality, but being competent with C++ and especially debugging code does help. The DDW command set is pretty well documented and doesn't seem to have that many quirks that implementation should be fairly easy for someone that has tinkered with INDI drivers before and has the device at hand for testing how it actually behaves.
3 years 6 months ago #60435

I appreciate your response and am hopeful we can get others to help move this forward.
3 years 6 months ago #60449

• Thank you received: 168
I wrote an initial driver but haven't yet had chance to test it with our club's controller (had such a low-tech problem that I couldn't find the other end of the serial cable from our control room :) If you are really brave (or foolish enough :) to compile and test it, I pushed the source to github.com/jpaana/indi/tree/ddw_driver but as said I haven't tested it at all yet, just wrote it according to the documentation.
3 years 6 months ago #61326

I'll try to take a crack at it. I'm currently rebuilding parts of my observatory. I'll let you know . Thanks for the effort. Much appreciated!!!!!!
3 years 6 months ago #61335

Time to create page: 0.892 seconds