INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Storing settings on indi server

• Thank you received: 1
I'm having some trouble with the default settings for my camera and my profile doesn't keep the driver setting(ZWO CCD) for my guide scope. I've realized this is likely because I'm running a remote indi server and the settings aren't being stored on the server that has all the equipment connected. Can I get some pointers on how I can set and store some default settings for the camera as well as update the profile without losing it. I'm guessing the profile can be updated from the indi server web interface?
2 years 8 months ago #73741

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 20
Simon,
I'm running a remote Indi server and I find my current configuration files stored on the server in /home/<user>/.indi
After hitting the "Run" button on Ekos on my workstation, but before I hit "Connect", I saved the config on one device (Click "Save" on the options page), and looked at the files in the /home/pi/.indi directory and the one I changed had a current timestamp, so it is updating on the server. After I hit "Connect" it updated again. Other things are in /home/<user>/.local/share/kstars in an sqlite database named userdb.sqlite.
Hope this helps a little.
Dave
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by David Allmon.
2 years 8 months ago #73744

Thanks Dave, I'll check that out and see how it works for me.
2 years 8 months ago #73755

Double posting, sorry.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Simon. Reason: Got double posts somehow
2 years 8 months ago #73756

Nothing seems to really work. I can see that if I start Ekos it'll update my 294MM Pro config and I see it has some good values for gain and offset for example but they're just not being used, all I see in the camera tab for gain and offset is "--". I've tried editing the file manually. I also tried seeing what values the .default file had and even that one had good values that were not being used. I thought maybe for some reason it was trying to get the config from my laptop where there isn't any config for the camera but it has some previous configs for the other equipment, so I copied the config from the server to the laptop but that didn't do anything either. On my laptop I see log output in the terminal of the config and it looks good there as well.

As far as I can see the camera is being recognized perfectly, it shows up in the indi control panel, Ekos has the correct camera selected in the camera tab. I was wondering if it was confusing something with my guide camera which is a 120MM-S but I don't see any indication of that.

I'll attach a log in hopes that it clarifies something. As far as I can see it's reading settings correctly. They're just being ignored for some reason.But in Ekos I still just see "--" for gain.
2 years 8 months ago #73759
Attachments:

"--" simply means select whatever the camera currently has and do not override it. To know the current value, go to INDI Control Panel --> ZWO --> Controls and see the current gain and offset values.
2 years 8 months ago #73761

Ah, I see, thank you! They are certainly updated there. It's very confusing though I would say. My interpretation was that they didn't have any value set.
Another setting that I didn't find in the Controls is the binning mode. It's set to 1x1 as default but this seems to cause the connection with the indi server to disconnect. If I set 2x2 it works fine, so I would like to have the 2x2 setting as default, which is also the intended mode for this sensor.
Lastly I wanted the images to be stored on the server and not "locally" which also seems to reset with every startup. Is it possible to have these set default too?

Much appreciated.
2 years 8 months ago #73765

Any input on having other defaults for the other settings too?
2 years 8 months ago #73902

• Thank you received: 94
Hi
Assuming you've done this, but anyway...

Set the values you want on the indi-server. Then it's:
Options -> Save

Until you get an answer here, run kstars on the server and vnc into instead.
HTH
2 years 8 months ago #73920

I appreciate the recommendations. I've indeed tried saving but to no avail. I don't feel going to another solution with vnc is really warranted to avoid putting in a couple of values, I don't mind doing that but it would certainly be nice to be able to focus on other aspects.
Thanks
2 years 8 months ago #73926

• Thank you received: 72
I experienced a similar problem with the guider settings. I like multistar-guiding a lot, but with the 'Lodestar' it works only with '2x2' binning and the effect filter set to 'streched'. I noticed that these two settings are not saved and I had to adjust them by hand every time starting an new session. The situation is even worse, if you want to program a sequence with all the procedures running automatically. No way!
I had a look a the source code of KStars and found that these two settings are not saved indeed. So I wrote a small patch for KStars 3.5.4 to correct this situation. Currently I'm in a test phase and didn't put a merge request yet. (With the bad weather here in Switzerland I hadn't many opportunities in the last month!) I also opened an issue record (invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/issues/121) but I didn't receive feedback until now!
I'm not sure if this would help you, but its good to know, that a lot of the guider settings are kept in 'kstars.kcfg' 'kstarsrc' (in directory '~/.config/kstars/kstars/' in Ubuntu) which you find on the machine running Kstars! So you cannot control these settings through the INDI control panel.  Only settings correlated to the guidecam are in the associated XML-file and consequently stored on the machine you are running the driver from and controlled from INDI control panel.
Perhaps these insights are helping you in some way. Besides I'm still looking forward to hear some feedback from the experts!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Toni Schriber.
2 years 7 months ago #73979

Thanks Toni, it's interesting to hear from people with similar experience. I might take a look at the source as well.

I couldn't find any kstars.kcfg on the laptop or the NUC. In fact neither of them even had the ~/.config/kstars folder, there was just a ~/.config/kstarsrc file. I even did a general search from the home folder but nothing like that config file exists. The only place I've found config files are in ~/.indi where each unit has it's own .xml and .xml.default
2 years 7 months ago #73981

Time to create page: 1.144 seconds