INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Image Sequence Progress Freezes

• Thank you received: 28
I am a relatively new user and ran into a strange problem imaging last night. I ran a series of light sequences on two targets controlling Ekos via VNC on the StellarMate app on my iPad. To finish the night, I took some video sequences of the moon. All the images/ser files are stored either on the micro SD in the RPi or on an SSD I have attached to the RPi. This set up has been working for a few months.

Last night I tried to take my usual Flats and the 'Capture a Preview' option worked flawlessly and downloaded a preview as it usually does. However, when I tried to run a number of Flats as a sequence in the sequence queue, the log reports taking the first image but then doesn't complete the download (usually freezes with 1 to 10 seconds remaining in the download). The entire sequence just hangs and doesn't proceed. I've tried from the iPad, using screen sharing from a desktop, and using KStars from the desktop - the same result each time. Not only will Ekos not capture a sequence of Flats but it will no longer capture any sequences (Lights, Darks, Bias, or Flats).

For now, I'm going to save a series of preview images but this obviously won't work for the next imaging session. Any ideas?
2 years 8 months ago #73892

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
When that happened to me recently, the issue was that the file system I was saving to (a fast usb stick) was mounted read-only for some reason (and the previews were being stored in a different place, a temp directory on my main SSD which was correctly mounted read-write). To check if this is the case for you, test to see if you can create a file in the same directory that capture is saving its images. The fix for me was to reboot, and the stick drive was mounted read-write the next time.
2 years 8 months ago #73895

Were there any calibration options for flat? was it set to manual?
2 years 8 months ago #73898

• Thank you received: 28
Hy and Jasem - thanks for your replies. Hy's answer led me to do some more digging and it's very strange. The SSD I have attached to the RPi is called 'T7 2TB SSD'. After Hy's reply, I went into the capture module and was playing with the destination directory for file storage. I was able to store them onto the RPi MicroSD card once I changed to a folder on that card. I then went to change back to my SSD and am surprised to see two instances of it. One called 'T7 2TB SSD' and one called 'T7 2TM SSD1'. It turns out the one with the '1' appended to the name works (I am able to save images by running a sequence as always) and I have full permissions on it. The one without the '1' appended to it appears to have been created at a time at/near the end of my session last night (well, this morning). It shows a size of 4K. It seems this folder appeared and took on the name of my SSD.

It gets stranger. I plug the SSD into my desktop Mac and I cannot see this new folder/drive name. I decide to simply reformat the SSD and give it a slightly different name. When I plug the SSD back into the RPi, everything works as it used to when I select the new drive name as the storage location, HOWEVER the 'T2 2TB SSD' folder is still appearing in the RPi file manager and in Ekos as a storage location (although it still doesn't work). There must be some RPi/Linux thing going on that I don't understand - I had assumed that reformatting the SSD would have removed the name.

For now, aside from this name appearing as a selection (which I will ignore), things seem to be working again. As much as I like to have answers for everything, I think I'll move on for the time being.

Thanks again,
Fred
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
2 years 8 months ago #73901

Time to create page: 0.587 seconds