INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos internal guider calibration best practice

• Thank you received: 1
In PHD2 it is recommended to calibrate near the meridian with dec=0 and then re-use that calibration for guiding when slewing toward the imaging target for the night. 
When using the Ekos internal guider does the same principle applies for calibration? So far I have been doing my calibration on my target for the night and recalibrate every time i move to a new target...
I'm just wondering if my guiding accuracy would improve by calibrating near the meridian with dec at zero.

2 years 8 months ago #74372

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 57
I calibrate near the meridian near the equator and then save and reside the calibration for weeks and maybe months.

Seems to work just fine. I typically get guide rms < 0.5 arcsec
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steeve Body
2 years 8 months ago #74383

• Thank you received: 133
+1.  The calibration I use I did in April, IIRC.
What is true for PHD2 also holds for the internal guider:  Do the calibration close to the equator (there you have full RA speed) and as high elevation as possible (i.e., close to meridian) to minimize influence of refraction and seeing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steeve Body
2 years 8 months ago #74388

Thanks guys. So if I understand this correctly, for me being in the southern hemisphere, I would point the scope North and set DEC to zero or close to it right?
I just did a quick simulation in Kstars... and based on my understanding if I picked these coordinates that should give me good calibration:
RA: 05h 12m 00.00s. DEC: 00.32.30.48. Azimuth 359 37 25. Altitude 51 31 51
Do I get this right?
Edit: Answering my own question here... I didn't have the meridian and equatorial lines toggled on in Kstars preferences... so yes my above assumption is correct
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Steeve Body.
2 years 8 months ago #74393

• Thank you received: 133
:D
Yes, Az and Alt numbers look good. RA is of course not too meaningful without knowing location and time ;-)
2 years 8 months ago #74405

Well I calibrated last night near the meridian and equator and I was getting 0.5rms all night… so I guess that’s pretty good!
2 years 8 months ago #74426

Time to create page: 1.224 seconds