INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astrometry files - direct download vs apt

• Thank you received: 0
Hi folks,

Annoyingly I managed to vaporise my Astroberry instance through a power failure while installing a kernel update so building from scratch, so it's been a long time since I've done the basics.

Last time I set it up, I downloaded the astrometry index files direct from the Internet and then dropped them into the target folder. This time I noted a line in the Astroberry guide that said you can install them via apt:

<code>sudo apt install astrometry-data-2mass astrometry-data-tycho2</code>

I assume I still need them even with the new StellarSolver?

I ran this but Ekos isn't picking them up, I think because the downloaded files don't have the naming convention that it's expecting (the names are like index-2mass-00-00.fits). Is there any way to use these files? If not I have a copy of the correctly named files backed up somewhere, just seems like a waste of a download!

Cheers!
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Kieran.
2 years 7 months ago #74809

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 107
Yes you still need them even with stellar solver.
That apt package is in fact just script that downloads these fits files from server so just put them into /usr/share/astrometry
2 years 7 months ago #74810

Cheers. I would have thought that's what the apt package is doing, and it's downloading files that I can match up in size to the files off of astrometry.net, but the file names are different, which I suspect is why Ekos isn't picking them up:

2 years 7 months ago #74813

• Thank you received: 140
Just a quick question, do you still need Astrometry in the Ekos profile for stellasolver to work … or not..??
2 years 7 months ago #74867

• Thank you received: 107
Yes files should be called index-42XX-YY.fits for 2MASS as here data.astrometry.net/4200/ you can check md5sum.txt files and verify that you have correct files
And here data.astrometry.net/ are for tycho2.
2 years 7 months ago #74877

Yeah I was too lazy to verify and rename everything so I just removed that package with APT and just copied down a backup of the files with the correct names.

I think this question in the Astroberry install guide needs correcting then, else you'll download 30GB of files with the wrong names, and EKOS won't recognise them: www.astroberry.io/docs/index.php?title=A...line_platesolving.3F

"How can I download all astrometry files for offline platesolving?
sudo apt install astrometry-data-2mass astrometry-data-tycho2 downloads all files and stores them appropriately. You need to have ~30Gb of free space."
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Kieran.
2 years 7 months ago #74882

Time to create page: 0.756 seconds