INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problems plate solving "insufficient stars" when frame clearly has plenty of stars

• Thank you received: 3
rather odd, I had my equipment out last night to try to shoot Jupiter, and what was working a couple of weeks ago wasn't working. I have a ASI 120MM Mini on a 60mm f/4 refractor, and job number one was to plate solve to sync to the desired bit of sky I wanted to point at. But I consistently had Ekos telling me "insufficient stars" being reported although it appeared to have plenty. I tried playing with exposures, gain, binning, and focus but other than a couple of solves that magically happened, I was unable to get consistent plate solves. 

oh, I tried to turn on logging as suggested in the "insufficient stars" message but the message but I couldn't figure out exactly what it meant about turning on logging; when I checked the logs window it looked like I had logging on, I switched between various logging verbosity settings but no new log folders were created when failing to plate solve - so either it was on and not logging, or the instructions provided to turn logging on were inadequate

what strategy should I use to troubleshoot this and figure out how to get it working?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Christopher Coomber
2 years 6 months ago #75061

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I'd recommend you install KStars beta and try it out. The beta is supposed to be stable in less than two weeks, so we'd appreciate any feedback if this problem still exists. "Insufficient stars" is a generic message that I put in there when the solver fails.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christopher Coomber
2 years 6 months ago #75062

• Thank you received: 4
Hi - I'm a noob but an getting the same message 'in the wild'. My images solve fine in ASTAP but no matter what options in EKOS i'm getting nothing. I will try KStars beta.

I'm also unable to select ASTAP as plate solver in EKOS options - have entered the correct path to the binary but nothing happens .. appreciate this could be offtopic.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tks
2 years 6 months ago #75271

• Thank you received: 558
I usually run with ASTAP, and have screenshot my align options below.
If you're like me and your ASTAP is installed in /opt/astap, you should make sure the binary and all the support files are there.

Insufficient stars usually means that the star-detection component isn't finding any stars (so would be fixed by adjusting StellarSolver parameters),
however, if you are using ASTAP, then Ekos doesn't run star detection--I believe that's all done inside the ASTAP binary.
So, you should not be seeing that message if you have configured it to use ASTAP.

Also, bin 1x1 in Align if you are using ASTAP.

Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Hy Murveit.
2 years 6 months ago #75274
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 1
Hi

I got the same message last night "insufficient stars" etc, although for a brief period the solver did work around Jupiter?

I will try Beta version as suggested and feedback when I am able.

Thanks

Chris
2 years 6 months ago #75276

• Thank you received: 159
When my solver reported "insufficient stars" recently, I was sitting in front of a new set up computer and stellarsolver wasn't installed at all. It took me a while to figure it out!
2 years 6 months ago #75283

• Thank you received: 4
Thanks to all:

Hy - that was obvious as soon as you pointed it out! Thanks.

Alfred - I feel your pain - doubt the insufficient stars is an installation issue as quite a number of people are experiencing it - see e.g. www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...h9JA4RZGIPztpolqgzAu

How can I check StellarSolver is indeed installed?

Ref beta version - AFAICS not in source on GIT, not in my (Arch) repo so am passing on this for the moment - however, looking forward to more news ...
2 years 6 months ago #75304

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds