INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Polar mount adjustments do not line up with correction vector

• Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

I am currently out in the Middle-of-Nowhere, Colorado (heh) at the Rocky Mountain Star Stare 2021 trying to take some images while the weather is still nice. However, last night upon trying to use the Ekos Polar Alignment module, after the three photos were taken and the mount slewed 30 degrees West each time, when the correction vector was presented, the yellow (altitude) and green (azimuth) lines did not align with the adjustments on the mount itself. I would see the correction vector triangle and attempt to adjust the elevation first using the altitude knobs (like the polar alignment tool directs), but the star would move along a different vector, not the yellow line presented. I tried plate solving several times before I would use the polar alignment tool to make sure the WCS data was correct, and I could even tell the mount to slew to an object in the night sky with no problems, but it seems like the Polar Alignment tool thinks my camera is set in a different orientation than it actually is. I can't of course test right now (daytime), but would sure love some direction so I can attempt an imaging session again tonight. There is no internet out here (had to take my cell phone and computer to a specific spot to get enough signal to write this), so I am using the internal solver for plate solving, and downloaded all of the necessary index files and then some. This is with the default solving settings.

EQM-35 Pro - EQMOD Mount
Orion 120mm f/8.3 Imaging Scope
Sony a6000 - Sony DSLR
Orion 50mm f/3.2 Guide Scope
Orion StarShoot CCD - QHY CCD
RPi4 w/ Astroberry
MacBook Pro w/ Kstars connected to RPi4 over non-WAN wireless

2 years 6 months ago #75159

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
I have seen this as well before. For now I am not using Ekos PAA anymore.
2 years 6 months ago #75168

• Thank you received: 117
Hey....Have a great time at the event (been to Gardner several times...good memories there).

On the topic of PA software, I have in the past been critical of this PA software, but I'll note that just yesterday, I tested out the new 3.5.5 beta release, and as I had hoped, this fixed the same issue for me. In my case, the issue was that someone had worked on the INDI Celestron GPS mount driver and switched the axis senses (confirmed in the forum). This reversed my knob response directions, screwed up drift align directions, and also made PA alignment software null/void. Your problem may have a different root cause, but if your vectors don't correlate to the knobs, it's highly likely that somehow, your mount axis senses are reversed or swapped as compared to what the PA software is expecting. I also heard from the developer during the whole process that bugs were fixed along the way (so maybe an update would help). I still have some doubts about precision, but from a test last night, it seems to get close. Just a thought as you debug further..... CS Doug
2 years 6 months ago #75175

Time to create page: 0.730 seconds