INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Polar alignment - mount does not slew

• Thank you received: 7
Yes, all control and planning with plate solving works. Just not the PAA.

Unfortunately, I cannot run any more tests these days. Only in October again.
2 years 6 months ago #75802

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Are you certain you can move the mount using directional keys in Ekos? and it moves at a reasonable speed? You don't need clear skies to test this. PAA works by using the directional keys and not by issuing a slew command.
2 years 6 months ago #75839

Thank you, Jasem, for your input. I do not have access to the mount these days. I can try again in a couple of weeks. As far I as I remember, I could move the mount with the KStars directional keys, while PAA did not work. I will double-check this in a few weeks time.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Willi.
2 years 6 months ago #75855

Tried the PA routine again last night. All of my original observations are correct. Mount does not slew automatically or stops after an initial extremely short pulse-like move. I tried with a whole bunch of different FIND and MAX speed settings to no avail.

Here is the MANUAL routine for PA that I used:
- 30° West
- Enabling manual slew
- Using the KSTAR/EKOS telescope control box/window to slew to RA=2h, DEC=0°
- Pressing “START” > plate solving
- Using the KSTAR/EKOS telescope control box/window to slew to RA=0h, DEC=0°
- Pressing “DONE” > plate solving
- Using the KSTAR/EKOS telescope control box/window to slew to RA=22h, DEC=0°
- Pressing “DONE” > plate solving
- Pressing “Refresh” and adjusting mount position with ALT/AZ screws.

Hence the slewing works with the KSTAR/EKOS telescope control, but not with the automatic slewing.

This is with the EKOS pre-installed on the Raspberry Pi 4 of the AVALON STARGO2 controller accessed remotely via WiFi.

BTW, the M-Uno mount does not require a Meridian flip. EKOS keeps warning me about it. Even though I disabled Meridian flip.

I also tried PA with the latest EKOS version on macOS 13.6.x connecting to the StarGO2 INDI server, … the Start button was grayed out …  Plate solving and slewing works, but no PA.

I also have another issue, maybe related: Guiding (EKOS internal) runs the calibration routine, starts guiding for a few seconds with some small correction, then aborts saying “mount slewing”… but I did not touch anything. Reproducible issue!
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Willi.
2 years 5 months ago #76885

What about using the mount directional keys? Does this move the scope in the mount control panel?
2 years 5 months ago #76906

Yes, slewing works with the software buttons from KStar.
2 years 5 months ago #76940

Any idea where the issue with the guiding comes from?
2 years 5 months ago #76941

That's what PAA uses, it uses the directional keys to move east/west. If the speed is set correctly in PPA and it still does not slew east/west, then I don't know what could be causing this.
2 years 5 months ago #76947

I tried different speed settings within MAX but also the FIND speed. The latter is only 100x sideral, very slow.

Did you see my issues with the internal guider? Do you have any idea what could be wrong there?

Could it be the StarGO2 INDI driver?
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Willi.
2 years 5 months ago #76951

• Thank you received: 155
I have the exact same issue with the CEM120 driver. What I discovered is that when you move the mount to the HOME position (zero degrees AZ), the mount stops providing the Telescope Pier Side value. This will stop the dome driver from moving. Once you move the mount in any direction, so that the Azimuth is no longer zero, it will get the Telescope Pier Side and the dome will slew. This is an iOptron mount bug I believe.  An easy work around that could be done in EKOS is to check if the mount is not reporting the Telescope Pier Side and then just declare that it is 1 degree azimuth.  It's not accurate, but 1 degree wont make any difference in your dome slot position.    
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Peter Kennett.
2 years 5 months ago #77289

Hi. I just ordered a Raspberry Pi 4B / ARMv8 / 8GB RAM / SD 128GB with an aluminium housing. I want to try StellarMate with that device and my iPad Pro.

Do you expect similar PAA issues with StellarMate on this RP4 as with the EKOS that is on the StarGO2 or with the EKOS on my MacBook?

I would also like to use the INDI driver for the mount that is already installed on the StarGO2 RP4. The StarGO2 has its own INDI server that starts up automatically on boot. So I would need to chain the SM server with the SG2 server… is this feasible?
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Willi.
2 years 4 months ago #78337

After updating to KStars/EKOS 3.5.6, I am still having the issue that during the automatic slewing of the PAA, it just stops after about 10 to 20° of slewing. I have this on different computers and installations including the built-in EKOS installation on the RPi4 in the StarGO2, which is basically “hardwired” to the mount. But I always use the same INDI driver/server of the StarGO2.

Is this maybe an issue of the INDI driver? How can I test this?
(The slewing buttons of the KStars telescope control work).
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Willi.
2 years 4 months ago #78558

Time to create page: 0.785 seconds