INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Polar alignment - mount does not slew

• Thank you received: 54
I did not know that the StarGo2 could be used with the M-Uno! I thought it was meant for the new M-Due.

Differences between the two controllers could explain the problem but, as other things seem to work correctly, that would be surprising.

Good luck and keep us posted.
2 years 6 months ago #75713

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 7
Indeed, the StarGo2 is primarily foreseen for the M-due. I asked Avalon to have it adapted to the M-uno, since they also offer it as a stand-alone controller. Avalon kindly pre-installed the StarGo2 with a new adapter plate to the motor boxes (= fork arm). I did not even get the classical StarGo controller. It works nicely.

The configuration works well with a separate computer and an INDI interface. With KStars & EKOS it works mostly OK, except for the PAA ;-). I did some changes in the settings and I will try again hopefully later this week, when I have a clear night again. BTW, SkySafari works very well, which I like using very much.

I also try to access the SG2 with the ASIAIR Pro... Does not work well yet. I will keep trying different drivers, settings, configurations etc. I have to admit, I am feeling pretty spoiled by the ASIAIR app on an iPad. I wish there would be something similar for a less proprietary environment and set of equipment.

Attached a picture of the mount:

Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Willi.
2 years 6 months ago #75716
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 54
Looks great!

What scope do you have on the mount? I suspect an RC scope (10 inch?) but not sure as it also looks a bit like an SCT but the focuser and what looks like collimations screws raise doubts on my part.

2 years 6 months ago #75725

Yes, a GSO RC10. Works well on this mount. I also have an ASI EAF installed. I had to design and 3D print an adapter for the GSO focuser.
2 years 6 months ago #75737

• Thank you received: 23
ZWO EAF Adapter Plate for GSO Ritchey-Chretien Telescopes
www.thingiverse.com/thing:4441326
The following user(s) said Thank You: Willi
2 years 6 months ago #75743

This adapter allows to exchange the EAF with the manual knob without exchanging the base plate… matter of taste  :
bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/d/12448...nted-focuser-adapter
2 years 6 months ago #75748

Can you move the mount using the Mount Control Panel West/East/North/South keys?
2 years 6 months ago #75795

Yes, all control and planning with plate solving works. Just not the PAA.

Unfortunately, I cannot run any more tests these days. Only in October again.
2 years 6 months ago #75802

Are you certain you can move the mount using directional keys in Ekos? and it moves at a reasonable speed? You don't need clear skies to test this. PAA works by using the directional keys and not by issuing a slew command.
2 years 6 months ago #75839

Thank you, Jasem, for your input. I do not have access to the mount these days. I can try again in a couple of weeks. As far I as I remember, I could move the mount with the KStars directional keys, while PAA did not work. I will double-check this in a few weeks time.
2 years 6 months ago #75855

Tried the PA routine again last night. All of my original observations are correct. Mount does not slew automatically or stops after an initial extremely short pulse-like move. I tried with a whole bunch of different FIND and MAX speed settings to no avail.

Here is the MANUAL routine for PA that I used:
- 30° West
- Enabling manual slew
- Using the KSTAR/EKOS telescope control box/window to slew to RA=2h, DEC=0°
- Pressing “START” > plate solving
- Using the KSTAR/EKOS telescope control box/window to slew to RA=0h, DEC=0°
- Pressing “DONE” > plate solving
- Using the KSTAR/EKOS telescope control box/window to slew to RA=22h, DEC=0°
- Pressing “DONE” > plate solving
- Pressing “Refresh” and adjusting mount position with ALT/AZ screws.

Hence the slewing works with the KSTAR/EKOS telescope control, but not with the automatic slewing.

This is with the EKOS pre-installed on the Raspberry Pi 4 of the AVALON STARGO2 controller accessed remotely via WiFi.

BTW, the M-Uno mount does not require a Meridian flip. EKOS keeps warning me about it. Even though I disabled Meridian flip.

I also tried PA with the latest EKOS version on macOS 13.6.x connecting to the StarGO2 INDI server, … the Start button was grayed out …  Plate solving and slewing works, but no PA.

I also have another issue, maybe related: Guiding (EKOS internal) runs the calibration routine, starts guiding for a few seconds with some small correction, then aborts saying “mount slewing”… but I did not touch anything. Reproducible issue!
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Willi.
2 years 5 months ago #76885

What about using the mount directional keys? Does this move the scope in the mount control panel?
2 years 5 months ago #76906

Time to create page: 1.202 seconds