INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Polar alignment - mount does not slew

• Thank you received: 7
Hi Jasem, thank you for the hint!

Now here is something interesting :-)

When I click on the left arrow in “Mount control”, the mount is physically moving to the left, i.e. the RA is increasing, but it says at the bottom in the live status “Moving W”, which is not the case! Right arrow button > RA decreases > mount/telescope is going to the right > Status “Moving E”.

The same happens, when I go into the INDI Control Panel / Motion Control tab. Pressing on the [West] button moves the mount East…

North / South is correct!

This seems to be the issue !!! Thank you!

I will check this with Avalon directly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Serquera
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Willi.
1 year 8 months ago #84419

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello David, after running more tests last night, I can confirm now, in the INDI drivers for the StarGO2, East and West motion has been mixed up. Please, check with Avalon for an update!

To be more exact, in the INDI driver it says for the DIRECTION_WEST parameter “slew negative steps”, and if it is not WEST, slew positive steps. This is wrong. It has to be the opposite.

Thank you, Jasem, for this perfect hint!
1 year 8 months ago #84423

• Thank you received: 2
Thak you Willi,
I sent to Avalon a couple of emails but I did not get any reply yet. I have also noticed that the Stargo2 driver crashes when moving the telescope with ekos munt control passing the meridian around polaris and you can only recover it after rebooting it.
One question, do you get reproducible polar aligment manually? i.e, if you PA manually with your workaround and then move your telescope and then you do PA again are you still close or minutes away? I do not why I cannot keep a stable PA.
1 year 8 months ago #84497

Hello David,

I contacted Avalon and they replied to me today saying they are in the process of looking for a solution. They will be replying to this following post in their own forum, once they have found a solution:

www.avalon-instruments.com/forum/stargo2...ascom-motion-control
1 year 8 months ago #84498

Slewing through the meridian due North… I have not tried that one yet. I will check it out.

There is a setting in the Indi controller about going through the meridian. Please, check to what it is set.

As for reproducible results with the manual PAA… good question. It usually varies by ±3 to 5 arcmin. It is never the same value.
1 year 8 months ago #84499

For mounts, you can reverse West/East motion and this should be enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Willi
1 year 8 months ago #84506

Interesting observation! Good find!

Same here when being BELOW Polaris. Mount/driver crashes! Bummer!

On the other hand, when using the Mount Control from KStars/EKOS, the mount crosses the northern meridian (now above Polaris) without any issues in both directions. No crashes nor interruptions. But the behaviour of the arrow key is inverted! Meaning, I can use and hold the left button to cross the northern meridian, when I let go and press again the same direction button, the mount slews in the opposite direction, that is towards the meridian again. Very weird. Not sure if this is a feature or a bug ?!

I am using KStars (v3.5.9) from my MacBookPro and connect to the indiserver of the StarGO2 remotely.

BTW, note, that I have selected LX200 Classic... but once EKOS makes the connection to the indiserver on the StarGO2, it uses the native stargo2-telescope driver!

1 year 8 months ago #84507
Attachments:

Another test, using the arrow keys from the Avalon browser interface, no problem going back and forth!

With EKOS, it crashes immediately.

I am using the iNDIGO Control Panel to get more info...

"Unresponsive Dec axis."

1 year 8 months ago #84508
Attachments:

Enabling and disabling "Reverse Up/Down" or "Reverse Left/Right" has no effect on the arrow buttons in the Mount Control interface! The mount always moves in the same direction with the exact same status messages.

I will still need to test it for the PAA.
1 year 8 months ago #84509

Still no answer from Avalon.

There are similar posts and topics on the Avalon forum. Not a single reply or comment from Avalon. Just NOTHING!

Avalon has not replied to my recent emails, either.

This is a very unprofessional behaviour and creating a lot of concerns to me and others.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Willi.
1 year 6 months ago #86525

• Thank you received: 2
I haven't heard from them since two months ago. They told me they were working on it...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Willi
1 year 6 months ago #86533

Maybe you could share your experience in the Avalon Forum:
www.avalon-instruments.com/forum/stargo2...ate-to-fix-bugs#1093
1 year 4 months ago #88362

Time to create page: 1.211 seconds