Can only conclude there is coding issue/bug with the ZWO driver/Ekos since it fails:
- on 2 different pi's with old and latest updates respectively.
- 3 different USB drives and the OS SD card
- on local storage only, but works with remote storage.
- with two different ZWO cameras, 120 USB 2.X and 294 USB 3.X
Time to buy a mini-PC. Something I was hoping to avoid.
Thanks for all the inputs folks!
Ekos is now capturing and recording properly to the USB drive. Steps to accomplish:
- Fellow club member suggested to use Ubuntu vs. Raspian
- I mistakenly used Ubuntu Mate. Wifi was present but refused to connect to anything.
- Then installed Ubuntu, fixed wifi.
- Wireless keyboard stopped working, switching to Gnome Xorg desktop fixed.
- Remote desktop would not work. Fixed by installing secure SSH.
That's it for now. Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Quite the whack-a-mole project!