INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Compressed FITS capture?

• Thank you received: 1
Is there a way to configure the EKOS capture module to use losslessly compressed FITS as a capture format? There is a compression option in the INDI config but thereafter the FITS viewer and other EKOS modules say they are not compatible with the format. As it is purely for storage and download purpose, I can always write a post-capture script to compress the picture and delete the original, but that seems unnecessarily convoluted.
2 years 5 months ago #76791

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This used to work previously, but it appears to be broken now. FITSData used to deal with files, since the FITS unpack utility takes the compressed file as input, and writes to a file as output, then the output is loaded. So it has to be re-written now to work with memory files OR write the compressed buffer to a file, then unpack, and then load.
2 years 5 months ago #76795

• Thank you received: 1
Easy workaround in the meantime would be to use a post-capture script to use fpack on the new file. Uncompressed file would still be opened in KStars after downloading, but would sit side-by-side with the compressed one until a post-job script could get rid of the uncompressed files.

How would one pass over the most recently captured filename as a variable to the post-capture script?
2 years 4 months ago #77253

This doesn't happen now. Actually, I wanted someone who actually uses the post capture script to propose a JSON structure with the useful fields so we can pass it as a single JSON object to the script, and then the script can decompose that to look for useful info. Captured file name, job information, progress, time..are all useful info, but we need to agree on the structure.

The compressed FITS loading must operate transparently in KStars... let me see if I can get sometime this weekend to work on it.
2 years 4 months ago #77258

Created an issue so we can track this for next release: invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/issues/141
2 years 4 months ago #77278

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds