INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY driver crashes on 3.5.7 beta for Mac

• Thank you received: 18
Thanks for clarifying, Rob. You say 3.5.5 is still available. Could you share a link where I could find that version? Most places link to edu.kde.org/kstars/, where I can only see the 3.5.6/7beta. Would like to try and see if I can get the camera to work on this Mac on 3.5.5
2 years 4 months ago #78135

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Good question.  I am not sure if Jasem put links to them anywhere.  But it is still on the server in the same spot it has been.  I think if you just try the current link location and edit it, that should work
2 years 4 months ago #78145

Found it!. Thank you. Installed 3.5.5, but it would not start. Deleted the data files from Application Support/Kstars. Then it did work, so I have now a working 3.5.5 next to 3.5.7beta. However... the indi_qhy_ccd driver still crashes. So it looks like somewhere along the line I'm doing something wrong. But where....? Would love to hear any ideas from anyone.
2 years 4 months ago #78147

Oh right, I bet that all those changes there were made recently to the DSO libraries made the current data directory not compatible with an older version.  Or maybe some other change.  But yes you did the right thing.  You can of course backup the old data directory if there is something important there before deleting it.  Yeah if that wasn't the issue then I am not sure why your QHY is crashing.  Maybe try asking Jasem, he builds libqhy.
2 years 4 months ago #78149

Jasem said that the camera works on his system with no issues with the latest version.  I just tried it on mine, but of course I have no QHY camera so I won't know much.

So a couple of ways you can get information about the issue would be to either:

1. In the Ekos Logging options click "verbose", then select INDI and the CCD options and see what prints out when you try to connect the camera
2. Use the "Device Manager in the KStars Menu to Select the QHY driver and then try to connect the camera.

Either one of those methods might get some relevant information about why it crashes on your system (either Linux or Mac or Both).

If this doesn't give enough good information I have another idea of a way you could test it.
2 years 3 months ago #78172

Thanks Rob. Got a little bit further. The Verbose logging in Ekos did not say anything other than that the driver crashed. But the Device Manager gave some clues. It said that libusb-1.0.0.dylib was not loaded, because libqhyccd.21.dylib requires version 4.0.0 and the version installed is libusb-1.0.0.dylib. See attached the log-file.

Based on that, I tried the following:
Updating libusb-1.0.0 with 'brew install libusb': no success (probably because the in-app embedded version is used anyway?)
Copied a libusb-1.0.0 from another Mac that has a working version: no success
Fresh install from KStars 3.5.5.img (again): no success

Would this give you any clues of what is wrong, and how to solve it?

Many thanks, Willem Jan.

File Attachment:

File Name: QHY_Devicemanager.rtf
File Size:4 KB
2 years 3 months ago #78181
Attachments:

Is this on the 3.5.5 version or the most recent version? 

Yes this is very useful information and tells me precisely why it crashed.  Yes it will be looking inside the app for the file not in homebrew since it is a fully packaged up app.   If it is the most recent version then I can certainly look into what happened and fix it.  If it is 3.5.5, then Please try the newer version and see if it also has the same linking issue.
2 years 3 months ago #78182

Progress made! Since it seemed like it was a version-issue, I have tried to install other older versions. Your information that older version were still available by simple changing the url was very helpful with this. These were the results:
3.5.1: QHY worked
3.5.4: QHY worked
3.5.5: QHY crashed
3.5.7b: QHY crashed

Both cases that had the crashes were showing the identical messages of a version issue with libusb-1.0.0.dylib in the device manager.
So the good news, we're closing in on the issue and I now have a fully working KStars, albeit it being 3.5.4.
Would this give you some clues of what could go wrong with 3.5.5/3.5.7b, either in general, or the DMG image? And most importantly: how to correct it?
2 years 3 months ago #78183

So I think what likely happened is that I had more than one version of the Libusb dylib on my Mac when I was building the last DMG and maybe QHY linked to a different one than the one that got packaged up.  I will see what I can do about it.
2 years 3 months ago #78191

Yep, I just confirmed it, the libqhyccd dylib is linked to my home-brew libusb which apparently is a different version number than the one in craft.  One easy way to fix that is to delete libusb from home-brew and rebuild the dmg.  Then all it would see is the one in craft.
2 years 3 months ago #78199

I will have to do that tomorrow though since I was at a club meeting at the observatory this evening.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Rob Lancaster.
2 years 3 months ago #78200

That sounds promising! It would be great if this would appear to be the issue as the fix seems simple.
No rush Rob, we've come a long end, so a few more days is not a problem at all.
2 years 3 months ago #78203

Time to create page: 0.662 seconds