INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Possible to set Camera ROI (X, Y, W, H) from FITS viewer?

• Thank you received: 12
Hi 
Not sure if this is in wishlist - is it possible to set the Main Camera ROI from FITS viewer?
Like using the mouse to draw a rectangle and then say "Set this ROI" and update the main camera X, Y, W, H settings.

Reason I need this is that I am planning to image with an SCT, and would like to adjust the SCT collimation with a Duncan mask - where a star will become a 3 arcs when it comes to near focus. My camera is an Atik 490ex - which is sort of slow in USB2 transfer in full resolution. So I'll be needing the ROI for speeding up the transfer. I can set the ROI manually by observing the area I need with the viewer plus the grid display. Just want to see if there's a more handy way to set it "visually" where I can select a region from the FITS viewer, and turn it into the ROI.

Thanks & clear skies
Stephen

2 years 3 months ago #78239

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 33
This would be nice to have feature. It could also be used for Mosaic and other areas.
Just to be clear, it doesnt have to be in the FITS viewer, it could be in the default capture view as well.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by AstroMuni.
2 years 3 months ago #78246

I think creating mosaics from the sky map is a neat feature to have
2 years 3 months ago #78247

If it can be driven from Sky maps that would be absolutely great :-)
It would be used for controlling rotation of camera if one had an automatic rotator and option for maually adjusting camera if it was done by hand.
I visualise it as follows:
- User selects an area in the sky or grab the sensor FOV display
- User is allowed to rotate this view
- If the area is user drawn then multiple sensor FOV segments are populated to cover the area to get a mosaic.
In the case of user doing manual rotation, user gets option to loop images while the camera is being rotated to match the chosen FOV.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by AstroMuni.
2 years 3 months ago #78249

• Thank you received: 12
AstroMuni - you meant this capture view? 

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Stephen Wong. Reason: add screen in body
2 years 3 months ago #78269
Attachments:

I was thinking of something similar to the screen which is shown for Polar alignment assistant. But thinking through this process and Jasem's suggestion,....As a lot of folk dont have automated rotators, I think the way it could work is the sky map is used for defining the area of capture and creating the sequence. Once the capture is initiated it would allow the user to rotate the camera to get right ROI. At this point, I think it would be good to be able to see what camera is capturing as well as sky map, as some of the objects will be so faint that you wouldnt see in camera if you have right orientation. Once user is happy with orientation, the capture sequence is initiated.
Thoughts?
2 years 3 months ago #78280

Time to create page: 0.943 seconds