INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Polar Alignment problem

• Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone!
I'm a newbe astrophotographer and new on this forum, I'm trying to control my new setup (skywatcher ed80+eqm-35) with kstar/ekos without seeing the ncp from my house but I'v always problem obviously due to my incompetence. I was able to get the equipment detected and get the plate solver but now I'm having problem with the polar alignment that give me the error "Solver was aborted, timed out, or failed, so no solution was found"... I don't understand please help me I'm almost desperate because I can't achieve a normal polar alignment from my house!
sorry for my bad English it's not my mother language! :)
and thanks to everyone try to help me!
 ps: I try to attach the problem report

File Attachment:

File Name: log_20-06-11.txt
File Size:3,313 KB
2 years 4 months ago #78433
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 20
Hi Matia,
"Warning! The calculated field of view is out of bounds. Ensure the telescope focal length and camera pixel size are correct."

you need to check your focal length and camera. if they're correct, check if you have the right files index for your fov.

regards

The following user(s) said Thank You: matia belvederi
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by ouioui01.
2 years 4 months ago #78444

Hi oui thank you for your response!
I think the focal length and camera data are correct, I'm using the skywatcher 80ed 600mm without reducer with the sony a7RII that is 7976x5317 with pixel size 4.50 and I'v used this data 
and I think I'v downloaded all the necessary index files as you can see in the attached file
what do you think? are these all correct?
thank you a lot! ;)   Hi oui thank you for your response!
I think the focal length and camera data are correct, I'm using the skywatcher 80ed 600mm without reducer with the sony a7RII that is 7976x5317 with pixel size 4.50 and I'v used this data 
and I think I'v downloaded all the necessary index files as you can see in the attached file
what do you think? are these all correct?
thank you a lot! ;)
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by matia belvederi.
2 years 4 months ago #78445
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 33
Hi Matia,
Have you tried running the solver from command line giving it an image?
Also if you havent already, read the documentation on Solver in this page stellarmate.com/support/ekos/17-support/documentation/ekos.html
You have to scroll a while to get to it, but it has relevant info.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
2 years 4 months ago #78457

Hi AstroMuni thank you for your reply!
When I do normal plate solving like "capture and solve" or "load and slew" it works well (after few resolved difficulty), it is only the polar alignment solver that doesn't works and I can't understand why. The focal length is green so I think it's detected correctly? but I'v RA and DE coordinate in red, does it means something wrong?
I think I'v read the same instruction but in a different page www.stellarmate.com/support/ekos/align.html (but tomorrow I'm going to read also your link to be sure), and I think I'm doing all the stuff well. But I'v a doubt, in the instruction I read about a "polar alignment" to align directly to the north celestial pole and a "legacy polar alignment" to use if ncp is not visible and that is my case but I've not the legacy menu on my updated kstar. How is it possible? :(
and if I have to align without visible ncp should I start with a parking position pointing to the south meridian? is it right?
thank you for the time you are dedicating me!
2 years 4 months ago #78460

If platesolving works normally then it should still work using PA tool. Try using the manual option of rotating the scope by hand rather than getting Ekos to do it. Basic doubt, how much of sky is visible to you around the NCP? As PA tool works by rotating around RA axis I am wondering if these movements are ending up with it still not able to see a clear patch of sky.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
2 years 4 months ago #78479

Hi AstroMuni,
from my house I can’t see polaris, I can see from south-est to almost west (but west has to much light pollution).
But the problem is that the polar alignment solver dosn’t arrive to the movment step, it is stacked in the first capture step.
However after the capture and solve it give me red marked RA e DE value, what does it means? Could it indicate a problem?
Thank yuo!!
2 years 4 months ago #78480

While using PA tool you need to find a spot near the meridian and point it there (not too high if possible). You can get Kstars to show you where the meridian passes to help you. Its in the Guides menu 'Local meridian' tickbox.
So lock the Dec and try moving the mount around the RA axis to see if sky is still visible in these positions. Then try the PA tool
Clear Skies,
Pramod

Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by AstroMuni.
2 years 4 months ago #78481

yes it's just what I did :)
from my terrace I can see the south meridian and I was pointing over there, and the normal plate solving worked well.
but a question, in the guide a read about "polar alignment" to align directly to ncp and "legacy polar alignment" to align when ncp is not visible, is it right? but I don't have the legacy version next to the normal polar alignment! x(

However now I'm trying to plate solve and polar allign with the simulator profile trying to understand if I'm doing something wrong:
1. I star ekos with a parking position near the ncp
2. I do a goto to a near star
3. I launch the capture and solve with sync but It doesn't works

2021-12-09T22:57:40 Solver Failed.
2021-12-09T22:57:40 Solver was aborted, timed out, or failed, so no solution was found
2021-12-09T22:57:40 Starting Internal StellarSolver Astrometry.net based Engine with the 1-Default profile. . .
2021-12-09T22:57:40 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2021-12-09T22:57:40 Image width 320 pixels; arcsec per pixel range: 4.61107 to 8.64576
2021-12-09T22:57:40 Scale range: 24.5924 to 46.1107 arcmin wide
2021-12-09T22:57:39 Configuring StellarSolver
2021-12-09T22:57:39 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2021-12-09T22:57:39 Stars Found after Filtering: 3
2021-12-09T22:57:39 Stars Found before Filtering: 3
2021-12-09T22:57:39 Starting Internal StellarSolver Sextractor with the 1-Default profile . . .
2021-12-09T22:57:39 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2021-12-09T22:57:39 There should be enough RAM to load the indexes in parallel.
2021-12-09T22:57:39 Note: Free RAM for now is reported as Installed RAM on MacOS until I figure out how to get available RAM
2021-12-09T22:57:39 Evaluating Installed RAM for inParallel Option. Total Size of Index files: 5.22389 GB, Installed RAM: 8 GB, Free RAM: 8 GB
2021-12-09T22:57:39 Image received.
2021-12-09T22:57:29 Capturing image...

but 1 hour ago it was working well (only the capture and solve but not the next polar alignment step)! I can't understand, I'v changed nothing and now it dosn't works
could this problem be related with the polar alignment problem..?
thank you for your patience!
2 years 4 months ago #78482

Can you post a screenshot of where you point your scope in first instance for doing PA. Looks like legacy PA has been removed and documentation needs updating.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by AstroMuni.
2 years 4 months ago #78485

last night I tried polar alignmet I was pointing some star near the south meridian like in the attached screenshot 
2 years 4 months ago #78486
Attachments:

That looks like a quite bare part of sky. Cant see too many stars in that region. If you just do a capture are you seeing enough stars?
Clear Skies,
Pramod

2 years 4 months ago #78487

Time to create page: 3.338 seconds