INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Internal guider shift when loosing guide start with cloud

• Thank you received: 25
I was going to suggest performing plate-solving when the guiding star is lost for more than 2-3 frames. IMO adding plate solving to the beginning of the job is not going to solve this problem, as it happens AFTER the job is already started and in progress (in the above example it happened from img20 to img25), and plate-solving EACH captured frame is so resource-intensive.

@Jasem
I don't understand this behavior of the internal guider (IG). I believe what is happening is that the IG was tracking the guide star, then lose it for a frame or two, then another star pops up from the cloud in the periphery of the captured image, IG search and find this new star and ASSUME it is the same guide star it was tracking and tries to bring it to its original location. If we treat the newly auto found star as a new guide star and just keep guiding based on the new parameters (just trust the mount), I think this will fix many problems. Adding a plate-solving option after losing the guide star will assure accuracy.
2 years 2 months ago #79091

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I think this would be an overkill and would consume too much time in capture and solving each image. Restarting alignment procedure on guiding failure would be much easier to implement. Drifting shouldn't be too much of a problem now.
2 years 2 months ago #79104

@mohammad, was guiding ever aborted during this? then resumed?
2 years 2 months ago #79105

• Thank you received: 27
Jasem,

look at the log file in this thread indilib.org/forum/ekos/10569-guiding-swi...-the-wrong-star.html

It is exactly the same problem. Even if the "old" guide star is in the image, another one is taken for the olf one and guider starts sending crazy pulses (even bigger than allowed by setting if i remember correctly)

My solurtion: PHD2

Paul
2 years 2 months ago #79107

Hi jasem, no, I didn’t abort the guiding. Just checking every now and then, and found the target off center FOV.
2 years 2 months ago #79123

• Thank you received: 23
For this kind of problem, i not use the scheduler. i look at the guide window and in case of clouds i stop all
2 years 2 months ago #79125

Was the guide process aborted (by itself) and then resumed? or it wasn't aborted at all?
2 years 2 months ago #79128

In my case, when a cloud hides the guiding star for seconds and not appear again, the systems continues guiding sending pulses as much the value in Maximum pulse. This cause that the telescope move out the field, and then I need to stop the schedule (or the plan) and run the platesolver to center it again, or restart the Scheduler
2 years 2 months ago #79130

I was not attending EKOS when this happened with the images from 20-25 as given by example, but I have seen the guide totally stop and resume again trying to find a guide star. To be sure, I have attached the log file generated and clipped it only to the events between generation of img020 till img025.

File Attachment:

File Name: M_82_guide...mg25.txt
File Size:546 KB

Also, to easy asses the guide behavior, I filtered only the guide logs (in the same scope) in a separate log file

File Attachment:

File Name: M_82_guide...Logs.txt
File Size:94 KB
2 years 2 months ago #79133
Attachments:

Thank you. Capture was never aborted. The guide module was trying hard not to fail so it kept waiting for stars to show up. When they did, it ended up picking another star and therefore the whole target was off. At least, that's my theory. I suggested to the devs that in such situation when the scheduler is running, it should elect to stop the whole process and restart alignment/guiding/capturing flow to ensure all is in order.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Denning
2 years 2 months ago #79156

Thanks @jasem, I think you are right in your theory. Below are my findings that match yours. The question is when we can get this update (when losing guide star go to plate solving and restart guiding)?

2 years 2 months ago #79168
Attachments:

Can I also suggest to add a way to change guide star on the fly, without stop the schedule/plan/guide?
2 years 2 months ago #79177

Time to create page: 0.616 seconds