INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

unable to slew east of Polaris after sync sequence

• Thank you received: 223
I am unable to slew east of Polaris for some odd reasons, I took at video of the issue and grabbed the log from the Ekos window.

video: 33b7583a5f908e61a232-6b8a975948e4f6a1f52...n.com/NOTslewing.mkv
logs: 33b7583a5f908e61a232-6b8a975948e4f6a1f52....com/NOTslewing.logs

I must add that prior to this issue I have done quite a few "solve and sync", to make sure the telescope ends up where I want it to point at.

issue:
First the mount is parked (horizontal telescope), unpark and send it to Polaris, so far so good.
From there I slew to M52, so far so good, then on to a couple more targets between M52 and Polaris, again not a problem.
Right now, I'm sending the telescope to a target well passed east of Polaris, however the mount does not go there but go back near M52.
Take a look at the video, it's an odd behaviour which I never add before.

Something to add to the above story is that this afternoon I've done a dry run, open up the observatory and got the telscope to slew to M82 (way east of Polaris).
For this, I had set the time in Kstars to evening time.

I have no idea what's going on, I do not have limits turned on, nor an horizon set.
Lost for idea :(
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Gonzothegreat.
8 years 1 month ago #7274

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 46
Just a bit curious about that behaiviour, something like that happend to me once.. What happens if you remove or rename the file in in directory .indi (don't remember the filename :( ) that keeps track of the syncpoints..?? is the behviour the same or does it change.. ??
/Markku
8 years 1 month ago #7278

I have cleared the sync points, but not removed the file itself. I'll try tonight if the night is free from clouds.
It is an odd behavior, which I have not seen it before.
8 years 1 month ago #7279

I've done more tests this evening, cleared the sync files, removed the AlignData file from the server and used a different workstation with Ekos VM on it.
I was able to slew the telescope to M81/M82 without issues, I just need to install the astrometry files on this VM as mount is not off sync.

Going to do more testing on Wednesday night, but I assume it's a local issue with my VM running on the laptop.
stay tuned....
8 years 1 month ago #7281

So it's Wednesday, a clear night and I'm doing more tests.
I've cleared the sync points, remove the files, restarted the observatory.

Got everything up and running, slew to Polaris, as my mount is off it goes to the side of Polaris, no big deal there I am aware of this.
I start doing a few capture/solve & sync, all fine.
After a few points added to the list, I am unable to slew east of Polaris, the mount goes in the complete opposite of where I instructed it to go to...

I am at lost at to what's going on and could do with some help please.
8 years 1 month ago #7311

mmmmm, this is odd... out the blue I can now slew to M82 (east of polaris), nothing was done from my side. I'll keep testing and report....
8 years 1 month ago #7312

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by Jon on topic unable to slew east of Polaris

Have you checked your location settings? I had this happen to me some time ago and it was giving me some horizon limit errors.
Never mind this......I see now that you are getting plate solve and are apparently slewing to other locations fine....
--Jon
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Jon. Reason: Read earlier post
8 years 1 month ago #7316

sadly, the issue is back, it seems to be random. I was just showing to someone that I can now slew to anywhere I want, then boom on the third or fourth slew it goes in the opposite direction.
I've also witnessed some random error message on the screen too, something about out of range 90 - 90 or something like this, sorry I didn't capture the message correctly. Will do whenever it pops back on my screen.

I have attached a kstars log file, if that can help.

File Attachment:

File Name: kstars.txt
File Size:1,399 KB

This randomness is driving me crazy :(
8 years 1 month ago #7322
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 32
Wouldn't the randomness not be a sign that it might be a faulty mount?
8 years 1 month ago #7324

It's an HEQ5 pro, never had any issues with it.
I guess I will have to test this when I'm in Germany next week, I might be able to spot what's going then.
8 years 1 month ago #7325

Just been thinking again about this, if it was a fault in the mount then why is this only happening after I've done a few sync points?
If I clear the sync, remove the file, restart kstars it's working correctly.
8 years 1 month ago #7329

Just ran another test:
cleared the sync points, removed the AlignData file, not done any sync at all (it's cloudy at the moment...).
I can slew the telescope to any point in the sky without a single problem.

I would conclude that the mount is not at fault, I swing it from M51 to Polaris then to M81, then M81, back to M52, then off to Draconis.

At the next cloud-less night, I will attempt the same thing first and then add sync points, I'm almost sure that the mount will not behave.
thanks for helping and following this thread guys.
8 years 1 month ago #7330

Time to create page: 0.392 seconds