INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos detects not real mount movement, "jumping" on the screen

• Thank you received: 1
I ordered a new EQMod cable, but It's still bad weather here so I can't make any field try, so I made another cold run, but before I unplugged and plugged again all cables after blowing some air. After an almost identical routine as the other day I checked the log and the situations looks much better: it seems it didn't record any jump or error reading the 9 instead of 8 bits and I didn't see any jump on the screen. If I look for "error" in the file I still get the previous "EQMod Mount : "[COMM] read error, will retry again... ". I attach the log for any suggestion!

Any hint on the NINA/ASCOM problem?

File Attachment:

File Name: log_18-43-22.txt
File Size:649 KB
2 years 2 months ago #79975
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 52
It may not have been jumping that you saw but was erroring reading at least DEC, see the read error on the j2 command below.

As Jarno mentioned, check your power connections, quote:
"As said in some other thread, having just a little bit loose power connector which is quite typical to HEQ5 and others causes this sort of serial errors too so that is also something to test. "
And as Jarno mentioned, have you measured the voltage going to the mount when things are powered up?

[2022-01-27T18:46:40.067 CET DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - EQMod Mount : "[COMM] dispatch_command: \":j1\", 4 bytes written "
[2022-01-27T18:46:40.088 CET DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - EQMod Mount : "[COMM] read_eqmod: \"=FB777D\", 8 bytes read "
[2022-01-27T18:46:40.089 CET DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - EQMod Mount : "[SCOPE] GetRAEncoder() = 8222715 "
[2022-01-27T18:46:40.089 CET DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - EQMod Mount : "[COMM] dispatch_command: \":j2\", 4 bytes written "
[2022-01-27T18:46:45.117 CET DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - EQMod Mount : "[COMM] read error, will retry again... "
[2022-01-27T18:46:45.118 CET DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - EQMod Mount : "[COMM] dispatch_command: \":j2\", 4 bytes written "
[2022-01-27T18:46:45.135 CET DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - EQMod Mount : "[COMM] read_eqmod: \"=7F338F\", 8 bytes read "
[2022-01-27T18:46:45.137 CET DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - EQMod Mount : "[SCOPE] Current encoders RA=8222715 DE=9384831 "
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valerio
2 years 2 months ago #79976

Thanks Gene, the transformer not connected provides 12,27 V, do I have to measure the voltage of the transformer output while the mount moves or tracks? It's going to be difficult, I'll add some extender with exposed cables screws to check the voltage
2 years 2 months ago #79982

Ok, test run made with voltage detecting! I have:

12,27 V - everything off, just the transformer output

12,23 V - Ekos connected, scope parked

12,09 V - while slewing on both axes

12,18 V - while tracking, minimal variation to 12,19 V sometime

The whole output is very very stable, the values keep the same thoroughly. Made the same movement as usual, I attach the log, still showing errors.

Thanks for all of your support!

File Attachment:

File Name: log_21-23-21.txt
File Size:703 KB
2 years 2 months ago #79986
Attachments:

Hi Valerio,

For giggle and grins, put the meter on AC voltage, low scale if not auto ranging meter
2 years 2 months ago #79994

I used a 20V scale that gave me a 2 decimal digits, the readings are below, together to the relative log, but I write them here again:

12,27 V - everything off, just the transformer output 12,23 V - Ekos connected, scope parked 12,09 V - while slewing on both axes 12,18 V - while tracking, minimal variation to 12,19 V sometime

How is it?
2 years 2 months ago #79996

Hi Valerio,

You had the meter set to read AC voltages for the above readings? They look more like the readings provided for DC voltages(?).
2 years 2 months ago #80001

Yes Gene, I set the meter to read DC voltage as the transformer output is DC, do I have to make measurements setting meter to read AC voltage?
2 years 2 months ago #80002

• Thank you received: 109
Looking at the AC side may show you noise. If there is an AC signal of any strength, or even worse, fluctuation, it could be a power supply issue. Since your DC voltages are fairly stable though, it is likely a well-regulated power supply, and AC should be minimal if it is working correctly.
2 years 2 months ago #80005

I have a digital multimeter with a dial for selecting, among others, DC or AC. For AC I only have 2 possibilities: 200 and 600. If I set to 200 I get the following readings:

26.0 everything off, just the transformer output and also Ekos connected, scope parked

25,7 while slewing on both axes

25,9 while tracking

No oscillation on any value. As usual, log attached with the "usual" "[COMM] read error, will retry again... "

How is it? 

File Attachment:

File Name: log_19-40-11.txt
File Size:467 KB
2 years 2 months ago #80006
Attachments:

Well that certainly looks odd, almost as if it the ouput filter capacitor in the output is blown or non-existent.
The values expected, when looking at the AC value of a DC supply should be close to, if not 0 volts.

You mentioned you used a " I use a stabilized transformer that provides 12,27V"

What is this? Is there a model number/brand on it?
If a DIY, have a schematic of it?
2 years 2 months ago #80007

Just to clarify, I get the reading only on a way, if I invert the polarity reading on the meter I always get a 0. I don't know if it's normal, but just to be sure.

It's a transformer made by the famous technician / repairer that made the EQMod cable.

Well, I don't know if this can matter, but at this moment most probably I think it does: I bought this mount used and I firstly used it with a 3A transformer that had no ground connection; on the very first use probably by a very unlucky event, the mount phisically burned the controller and also part of the handbox. The person I bought the mount from works for a very very famous european webshop and gave me the contacts for the technician that works with them but also on his own and he's very famous, at least in the italian astronomical community. He changed the controlled, as it was burned beyond repair, but verified that the other electronics, including motors, worked fine; he made the 7A transfomer robust enough to withstand any electrical problem and the EQMod cable. Since then the mount works absolutely fine, except for these errors I found thank to you, but I don't know if there were before the accident and if this event relates to the errors
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Valerio.
2 years 2 months ago #80008

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds