INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Detecting Misted Optics

• Thank you received: 9
I lost several hours imaging last week due to a dew heater not working correctly. I was wondering whether it's possible to detect the gradual fogging of the objective glass by some kind of image analysis during a EKOS capture session?

I saw that guiding could be halted above a certain HFR limit. I put the resulting CR2 images through DSS and while the quality of the images fell off rapidly the star sharpness did not. I assume then that the HFR value returned for each image won't help in this case ?

Am I missing something that could assist please?

BTW - I found the culprit. USB connector disconnected but was under the coiled cable tidy so couldn't see it. Now taped up, but I'd still be interested in any comments.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Damian.
2 years 2 months ago #79516
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 53

Replied by Ken Self on topic Detecting Misted Optics

Something that counts the stars and lets you set some threshold like a percentage of the stars found in the first image?. The alignment module does something like that so maybe it could be adapted.
2 years 2 months ago #79555

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by Damian on topic Detecting Misted Optics

Thanks Ken,

Yes something that counts the stars then over a set threshold (say 10% difference from first frame) alarms to the user.
This may also catch where alignment is badly drifting or some other occurrences causing a major difference between the initial image.
Maybe a feature request ...
2 years 2 months ago #79562

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds