INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Noob questions

• Thank you received: 25

Noob questions was created by Ed Lee

Some, probably very basic /stupid questions from a noob:
  1. I'm using a dslr (Fuji X-T2) and focusing with a Bahtinov mask. Is it possible to use the Ekos focus module to get an analysis of the focus while I adjust it manually by hand (I don't have a motorised focuser)? If so is there a guide /video /instructions on how to do this?
  2. Related to the above, is it possible to use the video mode of a dslr to get a live stream? If so how?
  3. I've got plate solving, mount control (LX200 Onstep), and SkySafari connection working with indi. It's our possible to configure so that I can select a goto target in SkySafari and have Ekos goto, plate solve, and slew to the target? If so, how? I can do this from within Kstars but its still a two step process - goto in Kstars and then switch to Ekos for solve and slew.
Thanks in advance.

2 years 1 month ago #80770

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Euripides on topic Noob questions

Hello Ed,

About 1 & 2 take a look here

About the 3rd, I do not use SkySafari, but why you want to give those commands from there and not directly from Kstars? Isn't it an extra non-required step?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ed Lee
2 years 1 month ago #80771

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Jerry Black on topic Noob questions

Hi,

For question 1 - I have used the Bahtinov mask option in the focuser module and had the focuser module preview the images. As it showed me successive images, I tweaked the focus of my scope to show the best mask image.
question 2 - video mode hasn't worked well for me in the past (Nikon Z7) so I tend not to use it at the moment.
question 2 - I'd guess it's a 2 step process.
2 years 1 month ago #80772

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by AstroMuni on topic Noob questions

Hi Ed,

> I can do this from within Kstars but its still a two step process - goto in Kstars and then switch to Ekos for solve and slew.
From your description, it sounds as if you are using Skysafari on a phone and finding a target. And then you are trying to get to that object using laptop or RPi. If that is the scenario then consider using Stellarmate (www.stellarmate.com). Their website says you can use Skysafari as a client.

I simply use the Ekos scheduler which allows you to slew, align, track, capture, guide without any interaction from you. So thats what I use to automate my sessions. That way I can schedule multiple targets one after another and leave Ekos to do its thing.
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by AstroMuni.
2 years 1 month ago #80789

Replied by Ed Lee on topic Noob questions

Euripides - Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. I hadn't noticed the tiny camera button next to the Stop.
Jerry / AstroMuni - Likewise, thanks for your pointers.

Generally I was looking to use SkySafari in a much more ad-hoc approach rather than during a sequence capture. It provides a nicely designed touch interface which I find much easier for basic navigation tasks than the WIMP GUI design of Kstars/Ekos - especially as I'm accessing my Pi via VNC on my phone. I have SS working as a connected client, I just wasn't clear (and am still not tbh) if this is meant to provide integration with solve & slew.
2 years 1 month ago #80792

I just noticed the "On Set" property for the mount/telescope control - is this what I'm seeking for SS solve & slew integration? "On Set" seems to be a property of all mounts rather than in each driver but I can't find any documentation or reference to it other than an unanswered question at:
indilib.org/forum/mounts/10328-what-does...n-mount-drivers.html
2 years 1 month ago #80794

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by AstroMuni on topic Noob questions

I think that property is simply to control the mount via the INDI controls. So when you attempt to do an align or slew from Kstars it would set that property appropriately and get the mount to do one of the 3 options.
If you keep both windows open side by side and (Align & INDI) and do capture and solve with Sync button selected you will see that it triggers the corresponding button in INDI panel.
2 years 1 month ago #80810

A follow up on my original question 3. The 'got, solve and slew to target' works regardless of the source of the command issuing the goto. This works (for me) without any setting changes, so yes I can select and issue the goto in SkySafari, and alignment module knows the target when you then Capture & Solve. This is still the two step process.
2 years 1 week ago #81543

Time to create page: 0.754 seconds