INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

iOptron CEM70 compatibility status

• Thank you received: 1
Sweet, Paolo! Just to be sure: you're used to doing polar align, right?
2 years 4 weeks ago #80970

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 8
Yes, I do PA every time, since I setup and tear down every session :( ! Most of the time I do it with ipolar though. I find ipolar (way) faster and more precise than Ekos' PA routine. But that is just my preference :)
2 years 4 weeks ago #80976

Thanks Paolo, this is so kind of you to provide me with such useful info. :-)
2 years 3 weeks ago #80988

• Thank you received: 26

It's an old hex key thinned down, with a grippy surface, that could also be simply heat-shrink tube.

Here is my setup.
The scope is a 190 mm Maksutov Newton.
You can see a black (adjustable) ring above the CW's, this is for really quick setting up. I don't need to balance anymore.
The usb is soldered in, so no connection issues anymore.
You can make 'tool free' screws of the two screws in the back, for tightening the Azimuth adjustment.
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by Bart.
2 years 3 weeks ago #80992
Attachments:

Bart,

Nice pictures!

Sorry for the noob question, but : what does CW stand for, please? A way not to be forced to balance again and again? Can you please elaborate?
2 years 3 weeks ago #80995

Counter Weights.
The (three) black masses on the bar.
Yes, I just use this little black ring as a reference to slide the counter weights against and it's always in balance, once adjusted. Dec is in balance and has a reference position on the Losmandy dovetail plate to slide against.
2 years 3 weeks ago #80996

Indeed... You rock, Bart! If you have any more tinkering like these, feel free to share them with me, please. I should receive my mount in one month or so, so if I have life-sweetening ideas of this kind, I'll be the happiest guy from my block. :-)
2 years 3 weeks ago #81000

Bart,

You said:

>>> Dec is in balance and has a reference position on the Losmandy dovetail plate to slide against.

How can you be sure that your OTA is in the right position on the dovetail plate? On my present mount, I never manage to put the OTA at the same position, so I must balance each and every time I use it. Do you mean that the iOpton mount has a reference position, or do you mean that you manage somehow to always put the OTA at the same position. If so, how?
2 years 3 weeks ago #81001

Like so:

And you know, just have fun figuring out your setup, everyone's different and that's really nice I think. Lots of creative solutions to comparable 'problems'.
Enjoy the mount!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alien
2 years 3 weeks ago #81002
Attachments:

So, you just have two washers which prevent the OTA to put itself in a bad position in DEC. Wonderful! But did you drill them + screw them or is it enough to stick them with a powerful glue?

Guy, that must be so much cool to be always balanced...

So now, I'm considering something like this for my OTA. I guess the eyepiece holder shall be aligned with the CW bar, right? I have a finder which is at the right of the eyepiece holder, which tends to put the tube in an unstable position. Do you have any idea of something of the same weight as the finder that I could attach to the left of the eyepiece holder to rebalance the tube? If so, how could I attach it with? Velcro fastener maybe?
2 years 3 weeks ago #81004

I have the feeling you have many more questions, which I don't have the time for answering them all.
Good luck with your setup, enjoy!
2 years 3 weeks ago #81007

No worries, thanks again for all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bart
2 years 3 weeks ago #81013

Time to create page: 0.957 seconds