INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars 3.5.7 Linux Ubuntu Crash Plate Solving

• Thank you received: 94
Hi
You can have any previous version you like. checkout the one immediately before the stellarsolver perhaps?
git log
commit f34bcb7d999662145425ce83173adbf5b6f738bb (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEA
D)
Author: Jasem Mutlaq <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:   Fri Mar 11 14:10:39 2022 +0300

Disable event-driven setScopeStatus from INDI::Telescope since it sets m_Status which
prevents the polling method from working

commit 5033fba01ed2f81ecc8061bea3fea1617014f74b
Author: Jasem Mutlaq <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:   Fri Mar 11 13:09:56 2022 +0300

Fix bug that caused PAA to fail if a driver send HORIZONTAL_COORD as well

commit 836f47c891c53a533fbbebaab5a477582d6431b4
Date:   Fri Mar 11 02:46:21 2022 +0300

Improve Look n Feel tab

commit 23bb6cbfd8de5d775e902234f96e83ba2e9fcc6c
Author: Robert Lancaster <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:   Thu Mar 10 20:56:51 2022 +0000

updating to StellarSolver 2.1

commit f184fd3785cdc297e6e26f7e7465b61863cbcf6d
Author: Nicolas Fella <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:   Wed Mar 9 13:36:24 2022 +0100

Don't find KAuth

It's not used

Cheers and HTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg
2 years 2 weeks ago #81393

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
A rare clear night occurred on 9/3/2022 and we set up to image. Unfortunately all was going fine until we tried to plate solve the first target and KStars crashed. No matter what we tried on the spot there was no retrieving the situation - not at all happy.  On checking our records, the previous time we had a good night and everything worked was on 2/3/2022.  It didn't take much checking to find that there had been a KStars update on 4/3/2022 to version 3.5.7.  The computer in question is a Lenovo notebook with an 11th generation i5-1135G7 processor running Ubuntu Mate 21.10.
The next day we uninstalled KStars 3.5.7 with sudo apt remove kstars-bleeding and installed an old version using sudo apt install kstars.  It was found that this version worked without any issues.  Further investigation found that kStars version 3.5.7 will not even plate solve using the simulator as per other people's reports.
KStars 3.5.7 is causing a memory segmentation fault when starting the plate solver, see below.

org.kde.kstars.ekos.align: Target updated to JNow RA: "06h 46m 08s" DE: "-16° 44' 49\""
org.kde.kstars.indi: Telescope Simulator :  "[INFO] Slewing to RA:  6:46:08 - DEC: -16:44:49 "
org.kde.kstars.ekos.guide: "Mount is moving. Resetting calibration..."
org.kde.kstars.ekos.guide: "Calibration is cleared."
org.kde.kstars.indi: Telescope Simulator :  "[INFO] Telescope slew is complete. Tracking... "
org.kde.kstars.ekos.align: "Capturing image..."
Found one coordinate representation.
org.kde.kstars.ekos.align: "Image received."
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Now for an interesting twist, we have three other machines (that we don't use for actual imaging) that have KStars installed.  All three of them had also automatically updated to Version 3.5.7 and amazingly, all three plate solve with the simulator with no issues. Two of these machines are older quad core (one AMD and the other i3) notebooks running Ubuntu 20.04LTS.  The other machine is a desktop i5-8600 8th generation processor running Ubuntu Mate 21.10.
Amazingly, it would appear possible that this latest version of KStars has been compiled with a compiler not compatible with current up to date hardware.

As others have stated, there needs to be a simple way to roll back KStars installs if the stable versions have such significant bugs. 
I guess, in some respects, it is our own fault for allow automatic updates, as there are many warnings on the Internet regarding not upgrading KStars if it is working on your hardware.
Hopefully this issue can be addressed quickly as we, and other people, have obviously lost significant imaging time.
2 years 2 weeks ago #81396

• Thank you received: 809
 Hey guys,

So I worked very hard for the last three weeks or so in a separate branch of StellarSolver and KStars to perfect StellarSolver 2.0 so that it wouldn't cause any issues when released to the main repositories since it has API changes.  And then when it was ready for more widespread testing, we put each in the master branch simultaneously and thought that all was well and so we kept working on perfecting it all.  The thought was that if both upgraded at the same time, there should be very little issues with incompatibility since their API's would match.  And then, it got put in the PPA so people could start testing it.  Unfortunately, when it was pushed to the PPA, there was a significant issue because 3.5.7 was also using the ppa and was built for StellarSolver 1.9.  So when StellarSolver got upgraded with its new API settings, it was totally NOT compatible with KStars 3.5.7.  So at first, this caused some big problems, but really quickly we made a patch for 3.5.7 to make it compatible.  Unfortunately, the testing and refinements were not yet completed yet since it was still in a beta form so it wasn't perfect yet.  Since then I have refined things further and worked out most of the bugs.  So I am very sorry if you had any crashes or bad behavior due to this.  I hope that in the future we can find a away to make the stable version of KStars depend upon the specific version of StellarSolver that it was designed for so that it doesn't start using a version where the API doesn't match.  I'm not planning anymore significant API changes for a long time and this was the first time I changed it in well over a year.
KStars 3.5.8 beta should be working very well right now with the latest stellarsolver and my plan is to release a new version of Stellarsolver and make the new KStars depend on that so that you will have a nice stable version of KStars 3.5.8 hopefully in a few days.  We are still doing bug fixing and testing, but it should be soon.

Thanks for your patience,

Rob

The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Denning, Hy Murveit, Sir.Christmas, P & C
2 years 2 weeks ago #81410

Hi Rob,

Firstly thank you so much for all your efforts!

Secondly, could you please link me the kstars 3.5.8 beta version for Linux?
Because I was able to find it only for McOs users.

Thanks,

Manuel
2 years 1 week ago #81436

• Thank you received: 809
So I am not the Linux expert by any means.  I can help you a lot if you are using MacOS, but not as much with Linux.  But I can say that the best solution would be to build from source.

github.com/rlancaste/stellarsolver
github.com/KDE/kstars

But I also think that the nightly builds PPA might be a good solution too:

launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/+archive/ubuntu/indinightly
indilib.org/get-indi/download-ubuntu.html

Hopefully this helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sir.Christmas
2 years 1 week ago #81439

• Thank you received: 19
Hi,

I can add this: Plate solving crashes with Kstars 3.5.7 stable on my desktop Ubuntu 20.04.4 but not on my RPI4 with Stellarmate and the same version of Kstars.
2 years 1 week ago #81479

• Thank you received: 94
Hi everyone
Maybe just forget 3.5.7?

kstars 3.5.8 stable is now in git.
Build the latest indilib and stellarsolver *first*. Don't forget any 3rd party drivers you may have. e.g. we needed gphoto, asi and eqmod.

Versions working here on the latest kubuntu 20.04 are:

indilib: commit 658ed77cd7f6f140d95a8a7ce7902292f20808c5
indi-3rdparty: commit 7ad0792fe487ff5713c71d8907f6a2f9371c3f5f
stellarsolver: commit e1e277bfb0f24e11e1d9b47f7916dc0848dcae18 
kstars: commit 088df22316385e4e60c39814a3c161d45b934670

Make certain /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu has no references to earlier libstellarsolver versions and there are no symlinks other than:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      21 mar  3 14:19 libstellarsolver.so -> libstellarsolver.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      23 mar 16 05:59 libstellarsolver.so.2 -> libstellarsolver.so.2.2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6234272 mar 16 13:31 libstellarsolver.so.2.2

Note that github has dropped git:// for normal humans.  You now need https://

Cheers, clear skies and HTH
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by alacant.
2 years 1 week ago #81481

Rob, just letting you know that the linux system that was failing just did an update from the repository and the version of KStars now installed is 3.5.7 with a build date of 16/3/2022. Thus far testing with the simulators indicates that the issues have gone as it both plate solves and does a simulated polar alignment with no issues. Hopefully we will get an opportunity to test with actual hardware tomorrow evening as the weather looks promising.
2 years 1 week ago #81526

Time to create page: 1.696 seconds