INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Wrong DSLR FITS bit depth, focus / align module using FITS, causing issues

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I'm using Astroberry with Pi4, to control my Nikon d5300 DSLR.
If I capture in native transfer mode, there's no problem and the image shown on FITS viewer is same as the image shown on my camera.

This is a shot of an empty wall, with dual NB filter:

but in FITS transfer, the bit depth is set to 16bits per pixel and I think that "dims" the image.

Same setup, but FITS transfer:

Since focus/align modules force FITS transfer, they can't find any stars and fails.
If I manually change the transfer format to native during exposure in the INDI control panel, everything works fine.
Is there any fix to this? Any way to force modules to use native transfer? Change the bit depth to NEF depth or use correct conversion?

Thanks in advance.
Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Jeb.
2 years 2 weeks ago #81919
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Additional info:

* FITS viewer configuration:
- Limited resources mode OFF.
- Auto stretch OFF.
- Auto debayer ON.
- 3D Cube ON.
- Non linear histogram ON.

* Some tests with FITS viewer:
- Saved the native format image to FITS and loaded it in FITS viewer - and it's the same as FITS transferred file (dark image).
- GIMP and Siril shows normal image for both files.
- Changed the bit depth to 8 using GIMP and opened with FITS viewer - now shows normal image.

I think the FITS viewer is the source of this problem. Not sure if I configured something wrong, or it's just a weird behavior.

Also, I don't understand why the modules have to use FITS transfer, since it works just fine when I force native transfer format.
Can we make this 'auto-switch to FITS transfer' an option?
2 years 2 weeks ago #81947

• Thank you received: 69
what happens if you turn the Auto Stretch on?
2 years 2 weeks ago #81967

It does help a bit but still very dark. And the stretched image is different to the native transferred image - ideally they should be the same right?
I need > 30s exposure to get a solvable image, while with native transfer < 10s is sufficient.

Also, after upgrading to the newest version, a new problem appeared - capture and align fails with "Slew detected" message.
I'm using SmartEQ+ mount, and it seems like Kstars and Ekos cannot issue (or mount cannot follow) goto command. Manual slew with Ekos / INDI mount control works.
I have backed up a disk image though, so I'll just do a rollback I guess.
2 years 2 weeks ago #81968

• Thank you received: 812
Do Focus and Align still force FITS Transfer?? Since I integrated StellarSolver about a year ago, it became no longer necessary to send a FITS Image since Stellarsolver can handle the image buffer, instead of needing files, and making sure that if you do use an external solver, it sends a file in the appropriate format that they need to solve. So there is really no need to use FITS transfer. I remember finding about a month ago that in fact they were still forcing FITS transfer and I think we had fixed that in the last stable release. Are you using an old version of KStars?
2 years 2 weeks ago #81969

I did sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade before this test, so I think it's up to date.
Is there any other steps I need to do to keep Kstars updated?
2 years 2 weeks ago #81974

• Thank you received: 812
No that should be good, as long as the changes made it into 3.5.8 you should have them. That might mean they didn't make it. I thought they had.
2 years 2 weeks ago #81977

Time to create page: 0.626 seconds