INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars crashes

• Thank you received: 13

Kstars crashes was created by David Bennett

I am about to give up with Astroberry as kstars crashes when imaging. I would like to move to Stellar Mate but want to see Astroberry working first. It's a shame as I think it has great potential and advanced in terms of networking and architecture.
I have re-installed Astroberry, changed SD card, changed cables, power supplies and USB cables but still see the same issue. It crashes when imaging with the ZWO ASI 2600MM camera but at various times and isn't predictable. It is most likely to crash when taking the second image. With verbose logging selected for all devices in use, the last entries in the log are warnings:

[2022-04-01T23:26:59.603 BST WARN ][ default] - QObject::startTimer: Timers can only be used with threads started with QThread
[2022-04-01T23:26:59.616 BST WARN ][ default] - QtDBus: cannot relay signals from parent Phonon::AbstractAudioOutput(0x45f3ee8 "") unless they are emitted in the object's thread QThread(0x1269270 ""). Current thread is QThread(0x5c73d58 "").
[2022-04-01T23:26:59.618 BST WARN ][ default] - QtDBus: cannot relay signals from parent QObject(0x45f3ee8 "") unless they are emitted in the object's thread QThread(0x1269270 ""). Current thread is QThread(0x5c73d58 "").
[2022-04-01T23:26:59.627 BST WARN ][ default] - QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread

From what I have read, these errors relate to the GUI interface.

Do Zoom meetings happen where user problems can be shared? Is there a central resource of known bugs?

Where do I go from here? Help/advice would be appreciated?
1 year 11 months ago #81926

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Malcolm Whinfield on topic Kstars crashes

I had a lot of crashes as well, but the latest release available 1 or 2 weeks ago has seen the end of most of my crashes. I had it running for the last 3 days until my camera decided to fail. The camera is an old DSLR 450D. Right at this point in time, I will not be updating until I know there are more added features or products that I really need. Even so, I expect to run a new USB operating system storage device for any updates so I easily revert.

Have you updated recently?
1 year 11 months ago #81928

Replied by David Bennett on topic Kstars crashes

I updated when I re-installed Astroberry about 2 weeks ago. Astroberry is still at v 2.0.4 which is the version I have. You say updated recently? To be clear, do you mean sudo apt update etc?
1 year 11 months ago #81944

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt dist-upgrade
1 year 11 months ago #81948

Hi Malcolm thanks for reminder. Just did an update. As you say, quite a number of changes recently so will see if this helps. There is another post in the forum that suggests turning off sound for kstars notifications. This has removed the last warning entries in the log when I get a crash. I do wonder however if the warning was due to kstars crashing and not the cause of the crash.
1 year 11 months ago #81951

• Thank you received: 107

Replied by nou on topic Kstars crashes

Yes turn off any sound notification in KStars settings. It will get rid of these warnings. Also you have ASI2600 there is thread with similiar problems. First try disable FITS viewer.

www.indilib.org/forum/stellarmate/8620-z...wo-subs.html?start=0
1 year 11 months ago #81955

Yes this topic describes the same problem I have had for the last 2 months. It was raised over a year ago I see and I wonder if the fix is being worked on? I went out tonight after installing latest updates today and it only crashed on the first run. I then managed one or two runs of over 20 frames without crashing and fits viewer on. It would be nice to know if this is being worked on or even if it's thought to be fixed. I can try turning fits viewer off but its essential to check images as they are captured.
1 year 11 months ago #81980

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by Nigel Dunmore on topic Kstars crashes

Hi

I was having crashes with my setup and switched off the sounds after doing the usual googling. “Unfortunately” I also ran into something about image sizes being a problem so changed my camera setup, it’s a sony a7rii and produces full frame 80mb files. I changed it to aps-c mode which dropped the size to around 34mb. Since doing both these things my random crash rate has dropped quite a bit. Check your memory use - I was finding that kstars was using quite a chunk which a long with my setting up zcache (well it seemed like a good idea..) meant there appeared to be very little left on my 4gb Pi.

I still have crashes when trying to look at star profiles when using my sv305 camera which seems to lock up at times but expect that’s a different problem.

Regards

Nigel
1 year 11 months ago #82011

I have a 8 gb Pi 4 with a 32 gb SD card. Just taken 15 darks and watched the CPU and memory usage. When downloading images and updating the fits viewer the CPU peaks around 70% and memory usage peaks at about 1.2 gb or around 2.2gb including cache memory. The mount and dome were not being used so need to look again when next observing. No crash to report which is encouraging.
1 year 11 months ago #82017

• Thank you received: 27

Replied by Alex Varakin on topic Kstars crashes

Try CCDciel - it never crashes, has better UI and same features as Kstars. On top of that, it has couple of nice tools for collimating scope.
1 year 11 months ago #82022

In general, I have only one issue left, but everything I had issues with "FITS Viewer" and others are no longer an issue. I can run it over a number of days without a problem.

The issue though is that I can't take Bias shots. Just get the circle of death going around but no images. Wasn't an issue before but I have a temporary fix of taking Darks at the fastest shutter.
1 year 11 months ago #82034

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by MH on topic Kstars crashes

The problem I *think* lies within the FITS viewer and EKOS summary screen; basically there are weird memory allocation issues that occur that I've found that cause it to crash. Or at least, that appears to be the common thread.

See my thread here with a lot more debugging info that I tried; basically the only thing I've found that's reasonably consistent is using Kstars remotely to offload the FITS viewer to another box instead of the Pi4. I need to really stress-test this via my Windows box and Ubuntu laptop though just to make sure.
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by MH. Reason: Direct link to response, not overall thread
1 year 11 months ago #82111

Time to create page: 1.211 seconds