INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Optec Flip-Flat Automation?

• Thank you received: 16
I have an Optec Flip-Flat on the way. I see there's an indi_flipflat driver available. Curious how KStars integrates the Flip-Flat into a sequence? I don't see options for it in the Camera & Filter Wheel Module. Would like to be able to set up a sequence to take a set of light frames, close the Flip-Flat, illuminate the panel, take a set of auto-ADU flats, light off, open the Flip-Flat, and start the next set - without the "cover the telescope" or "turn on the even light source" dialogs. Without UI elements in the Camera & Filter Wheel Module, I assume the only way to do this is with a script? Am I missing something? Ideas?
2 years 1 week ago #82079

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Change to Dark or Flat frame, and then just open the calibration setting and select "Dust Cover with Built-in Flat Light" and the rest is taken care of automatically.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AirBourn
2 years 1 week ago #82094

Thanks. I had that calibration setting set, but didn't see anything in the status area. However, I did see a "Skipping flat/dark cap since it is not connected." message in the logfile. It would be nice to see something in the status area or the sequence list to help indicate what's planned/going on before you set the remote observatory into action.

BTW - I see your Flip-Flat in your Avatar!
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by AirBourn.
2 years 1 week ago #82108

UPDATE: Received the Flip-Flat today. Very simple install and seems to work with Ekos just as you describe - very cool! The only thing I notice is if my sequence is Light frames only, it opens the dust cap before the sequence just fine, but does not close it when the sequence is done.

I suppose I could write a Post-Capture or Post-Sequence script or use the Scheduler, but would be cool to issue the dust cover close command at the end of the sequence.
2 years 1 week ago #82114

• Thank you received: 168
If you use the scheduler, it can park the dust cap at shutdown.
2 years 1 week ago #82115

I wrote a python script to close the cap if it is open. It works fine when I issue it from the command line (KStars running and alive). I've tried selecting it as a Post-Capture script and a Post-Job script in the Scripts Manager on the Camera & Filter Wheel Module. However, if I run a quick capture sequence, the script doesn't get called and the script path is removed from the Scripts Manager and there's nothing in the logs to indicate that it knew anything about the script.

Is there a Scripts Manager doc somewhere? What am I missing?
2 years 1 week ago #82130

If you save the sequence queue, it would be there. What's the content of the script?
2 years 1 week ago #82155

I've tried a number of things. I wrote a python script that uses the indiclient (PyIndi) to connect to the server, watch my FlipFlat device, check the CAP_PARK property, and if it's UNPARK, then set the property to PARK and send the new switch to close the cap. It works perfectly from the command line. I set up just a one capture sequence job in Ekos (capture three short light frames) and setting that .py file as the Post-Job script. When I run the job, I get zero indication that Ekos did anything with the script and the file path disappears in the Scripts Manager dialog. I don't see anything in the status area or the logs or anything.

I tried a .sh shell script to call "python script.sh" with full pathnames, tried all four of the script boxes in the Scripts Manager, anything I could think of. I just get zero indication anywhere and the script path disappears.

I'd like to see just the simplest of examples of a script that works in the Scripts Manager. There's got to be something simple I'm missing - specific path or file suffix or ?
2 years 1 week ago #82158

Just tested again, all works fine as expected. Is the script executable? chmod +x ?

2 years 1 week ago #82161
Attachments:

Bizarre. Tried your test. I get the exact same non-working behavior as mine. No indication anywhere that it ran, no change to the gain in the module UI, and the script path disappears from the Scripts Manager. Yes the script file is executable (+x). I'm using 3.5.7 Stable on Ubuntu 20.04.

Before I run the job:

After I run the job:

Tail end of the log:
[2022-04-08T12:42:02.546 CDT INFO ][   org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - "Warning: temperature delta check is selected but autofocus process was not started."
[2022-04-08T12:42:02.556 CDT INFO ][   org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - "Job requires 1.000-second  images, has 0/1 frames captured and will be processed."
[2022-04-08T12:42:02.594 CDT WARN ][   org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - Skipping flat/dark cap since it is not connected.
[2022-04-08T12:42:02.594 CDT INFO ][   org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - "Capturing 1.000-second  image..."
[2022-04-08T12:42:03.636 CDT INFO ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - "FITS" file saved to "/home/airbourn/Pictures/Test/Light/Red/Light_Red_1_secs_003.fits"
[2022-04-08T12:42:03.678 CDT INFO ][   org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - "Received image 1 out of 1."
[2022-04-08T12:42:03.679 CDT INFO ][   org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - "Captured /home/airbourn/Pictures/Test/Light/Red/Light_Red_1_secs_003.fits"

Are there any other constraints? Does the script file HAVE to be in my home directory, does it have to have a certain name? Do I have to save the job as a sequence? Anything? Just brainstorming - something major is missing here.
2 years 1 week ago #82167
Attachments:

Can you replicate with latest stable release? 3.5.8 ?
2 years 1 week ago #82169

Yes - just did that. Updated to 3.5.8 Stable Build 2022-03-24T22:52:45Z and it acts exactly the same.
2 years 1 week ago #82170

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds