INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Resolved: Joystick setup?

• Thank you received: 1
I think this is an Ekos question - please shout if not.. StellarMate on a Pi4.

I have an xbox controller (bluetooth) that I would like to use to control my EQMOd mount.

I've seen the tutorial at indilib.org/support/tutorials/135-contro...with-a-joystick.html but it's nearly a decade old (which may be fine? I have no idea if things have changed) and seems to start with the joystick already being hooked up and happy. I've seen a bunch of articles on getting an xbox controller onto a pi but they all want you to install xboxdrv, which my pi says does not exist.

The pi and the controller do see each other.. I turn on the controller and the pi BT icon starts flashing but the controller LED just flashes for a minute then goes stops.

Anybody have a walk-thru on how to get this going from scratch or some tips?? I seem to just be going in circles.. :\

TY!
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by DaveDurant.
1 year 11 months ago #82423

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
TL;DR: avoid real XBox controllers unless you're sure you can talk the Pi into it.

Somebody suggested I check out "8bitdo" controllers and Amazon delivered a "Pro 2" within a couple hours (I didn't ask - it just showed up quick). Set the mode to X (so says google), hit the pair button, couple clicks in the pi and you're basically done. I've only tried it on the telescope simulator but Ekos picked it right up automatically. I just enabled joystick in the simulator options and bam, done.

I think this is less "8bitdo is awesome" and more "XBox controllers don't play well with others." No complaints about the Pro 2 so far, though.
1 year 11 months ago #82441

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds