INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Question about scheduler

• Thank you received: 41
Hello guys,

I think I have a simple question that troubles me already a few nights.

I have this simple mosaic with 2 panels. How can I set it to repeat itself? My point is to capture Panel A, Panel B and then go back to Panel A, Panel B.

Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Euripides.
1 year 9 months ago #83787
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16
Check one of the boxes on the bottom right area... "Repeat for X Runs" or "Repeat until Terminated".

Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Euripides
1 year 9 months ago #83789

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Question about scheduler

On the lower right of the page, there is "Repeat for __" and "Repeat until Terminated". I believe those are what you're looking for.

Double click one of your job lines--a checkbox will replace the + near the top center. Then check (e.g.) "Repeat until Terminated", then click the check box--which will turn back into the +.
Repeat that for the other job line.
Now save the scheduler job, so that tomorrow you don't have to do this again.

Now, start the scheduler. When it runs it should repeat your jobs.

Hy

PS Other things I'd change: go from Classic to Greedy for the scheduler algorithm. You might also want to adjust the minimum altitude and set Park Mount. All these things should be changed before you click the check for each line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Euripides
1 year 9 months ago #83790

Replied by Euripides on topic Question about scheduler

I saw that but if I check for example the "run 3 times", that changes the captures from 5 to 15. You will say "of course this is right, 3x5=15 but it does that on the same line (job?).
Shouldn't I have a new line, a new job with my parameters or I am just looking it wrong?

(Sorry I am on a simulator now and I can't execute it to test it out. By the way, is it possible to do that? Cause if I run it, it fails with an "unable to plate solve the target" error)

1 year 9 months ago #83791
Attachments:

You are right. What "repeat 2" does is repeat job A. So if you set both jobs as repeat 2, what you'd get would be A, A, B, B.
I assume what you really want is A, B, A, B. As far as I remember, there's is no simple control to do that.

However, you can work around it by repeating the jobs.

So, instead of my previous bad advice (sorry about that), what you can do is keep your jobs as "sequence completion" and then save the jobs to disk somewhere using the buttons on the upper right (either "save" or "save as"). Then use the 4th from the right on the upper right (load schedule and append to queue) to read it back in. Now you should see it repeated. You can do this several times to fill a given night's work, I believe. You could eventually save the whole thing so you don't have to repeat this procedure the next day.

You might want to give the repetitions different names, e.g. Test-Part1a Test-Part2a, Test-Part1b, Test-Part2b, ... I say this because it's possible that if you are using the "remember job progress" setting (in Settings->Configure KStars->Ekos->Scheduler) it might confuse one job for another.

Hy
1 year 9 months ago #83792

You are totally right, I want A,B,A,B.

I think last night I did exactly your suggestion but as you can see Part 1 says 6/20 in all the lines.

Probably that will be solved with the last part of your suggestion.

1 year 9 months ago #83793
Attachments:

Finally, I've managed to set up my night - to be honest I would say that the Scheduler tab is the least non-user friendly of all Ekos functions.

But I am again against a wall... The first 2 lines are my mosaic.
Then I reload the seq and rename the target as you can see in the picture, to be able to recapture those panels for 4 more hours.

The issue is then when I press the save button, Kstars craches. If I save only the first two lines it works fine.

Any idea if I can provide any specific log? I can easily reproduce it on both of my systems even on simulator.

PS. The only thing that troubles me is the "Altitude values" that are not changing.

Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Euripides.
1 year 9 months ago #83805
Attachments:

I can take a look at it if you send me step-by-step instructions on how to replicate the crash.
[If you know how to run gdb, you could send the stack trace, but if not, replication instructions are sufficient.]

Please send me the .esl and esq files you are using too.

Here's a suggestion on how to generate the instructions. Let me know if this crashes (or perhaps I'm just repeating your words):
Load an .esl file with your mosaic
Load/Append it again
Rename the newly loaded lines
Save

Would that crash it? If so, send me the data and I'll try.
Hy
1 year 9 months ago #83879

Hello Hy,

It is extremely easy to replicate it - at least on my systems (Mac, Ubuntu, both latest update).

1.Create or load the mosaic *esl
2. Reload the same file and rename them
3. Try to save the sequence, you enter the desired name and location and application crashes.

The only think that I can see, is that the altitude values remain the same, something that is clearly wrong. The target will not have the same altitude at 23:14 and 23:31

1 year 9 months ago #83888
Attachments:

Thanks for pointing this out. I was able to replicate your crash, and I can see what lines in the code are responsible for it. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert in the Mosaic code, so I've passed it on to Eric and Jasem.

I would say that you can't save that scheduler file the way we had hoped, at least not until the code is fixed and released, but I'm guessing you could still execute the scheduler jobs--though I'm really not familiar with mosaics, so I can't promise that either. It's worth a try. You'd just have to make the same simple edits every night you run it.

Hy
1 year 9 months ago #83889

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by AstroMuni on topic Question about scheduler

I think there is more to it....I tried the suggestions above using the simulator but the ordering gets changed in some cases where scheduler thinks that it needs to prioritise one part of the image. :-(
So instead of doing A, B, A, B it could reschedule to A, A, B, B again
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by AstroMuni.
1 year 9 months ago #83891

Also, BTW, the altitude column in the scheduler table is the current altitude of the job target, not the altitude when the job will start. That is described on the tooltip (when you mouse over the altitude values) and I confirmed that by looking at the code. Whether or not that should be what is displayed is up for debate, but that's the way it seems to be implemented right now. Therefore it makes sense that the two copies of the same job have the same (current) altitude displayed.
1 year 9 months ago #83892

Time to create page: 2.218 seconds