INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Player One Guide Camera - Driver issues

• Thank you received: 0
Hi All,

New to the forum (and fora in general so please forgive me for any protocol breaches). I am trying to get a Player One Ceres-M guide camera going under EKOS. I've created a profile with just the camera in it using the 'PlayerOne CCD' driver as the Guider entry. When I try to start the profile the INDI services start and the camera initially connects but then the driver seems to die. Have not been able to resolve the issue. I have tried on two computers both running Ubuntu Linux but get the same result on both. Well at least that is consistent. I have attached a log file of a clean session.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_10-49-...7-06.zip
File Size:4 KB
1 year 8 months ago #84100
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A crash was fixed recently in GIT. You need to switch to nightly builds to test.
1 year 8 months ago #84102

Thanks Jasem,

I'll give that a try today.
1 year 8 months ago #84141

OK gave it a try and got the same result which is the PlayerOne driver crashing when you select 'connect'. Just to make sure I got the process to update to the nightly build right this is what I did.

1) removed existing KStars installation with apt remove kstars-bleeding
2) Updated the repository and install KStars again

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/indinightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding

Ran Kstars and it reports version 3.6.0 Beta so I am presuming that is correct as I was running 3.5.9 before.
If that is not the right process to update to the nightly build a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
1 year 8 months ago #84154

• Thank you received: 5
It happened the same to me. The solution, however, was very simple.

Disable "Auto Connect" in the EKOS configuration panel. Then save a configuration for the camera in the INDI control panel, only after that press the connect button.
Apparently if a configuration file is not present KStars gets mad.
1 year 8 months ago #84607

Thanks Massimo. I had already saved a profile so a configuration file should have been present. I deleted all my profiles and created a new one with just the PlayerOne CCD Driver as the guider. I disabled Auto Connect and saved the profile. When I start this profile and select 'Connect' on the 'PlayerOne CCD Ceres-M' tab the Indi Control Panel shows the Camera info for about two seconds then the whole control panel exits.
I am not getting a 'Driver crashed' error any more but the log file indicates that the child process for the camera died.
1 year 8 months ago #84611

Mmmm...as a last resort, if I were you, I would try exactly what you did, i.e. generate a clean profile with only the camera, but first I would delete all previously generated configuration files and create a new one based on that profile. Maybe you are lucky that way. In my case this worked with KStars 3.5.9 and also 3.6.0 but I have a Mars-M.
1 year 8 months ago #84614

With your help I have it working now. I did not quite understand what you meant by deleting configuration files based on a profile. Being a KStars newbie I thought the profile was equivalent to a configuration. Given what you said I looked through all the options in the INDI Control Panel and on the Options tab I found Configuration > Save. Hmmm, is this what Massimo means? Tried that and it worked. Connecting to the camera now no longer casues the INDI Control Panel to fail.

I think what is happening is as you said. When you select 'Connect' in the INDI Control Panel Main tab the code tries to read a configuration file for the device and if it can't find one exits. In my opinion what it should do is save the configuration if no file is found then try the read again. This should not be too much of a problem to implement as when you disconnect the code saves the device configuration.

Many thanks for your help :)
1 year 8 months ago #84619

I'm happy it worked... sorry if my explanation was a little bit sketchy.

Best
1 year 8 months ago #84623

Time to create page: 0.626 seconds