INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ubuntu 22.04 + Mac mini 5.1 (mid 2011) = success for Kstars 3.6.0

• Thank you received: 223
So as Kstars 3.6.0 no longer works below OSX 10.15 and I am not going to upgrade the hardware, I have re-purposed my old Mac mini (mid 2011, 5.1) into an Ubuntu machine.
The installation was easy, grabbed the Ubuntu iso (I picked the server one as I can't stand bloatware from the full desktop install) and burned it on a 4Gb USB stick.
Booted it (pressed the ALT key to access it) and ran the install. As I am not dual booting, I wiped the drive (I have other Mac machine at home...).
There was an error at the end of the install, it said: failed... but it wasn't too bad.
Booted in Ubuntu rescue, and reset the root password. From that point on after a reboot I carried on the setup....

Playing with i3 window tile manager (I used to run Awesome on Debian at work a few years ago).
Kstars 3.6.0 runs on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on a Mac mini mid 2011.
1 year 7 months ago #85236

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41
That's great news! I was thinking to use an old man, a Mac mini 2009, probably with lighter Lubuntu and get rid of my humble cheap fanless mini pc.
1 year 7 months ago #85241

• Thank you received: 223
Just check on your 2009 model if it's using the 32bit EFI as the installation might differ on such older models.
1 year 7 months ago #85257

• Thank you received: 809
The reason for this was because KStars 3.6.0 was released just before I went on vacation and there was an issue with my script so they just used the craft built version instead of the one built with my script. Apparently Craft is now being built with MacDeploymentTarget = 10.15. The reason they give in the comment is "As projects start to require c++17 we are now requiring 10.15" as shown here:

invent.kde.org/packaging/craft/-/blob/ma...ettings.ini.template

My script is still set to build to build with MacDeploymentTarget = 10.13 as shown here:

github.com/rlancaste/kstars-on-osx-craft...gs/CraftSettings.ini

I also managed to fix my build script as well, so I rebuilt the dmg today and uploaded it. Please check to see that it works on 10.13 and 10.14 again. If not, then I should probably clean out my build directory and build again, but hopefully the issue is resolved.

Please check and see it it works!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
1 year 7 months ago #85540

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds