INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Newbie trying to test a camera

• Thank you received: 7
Hi all --

I am completely new to astrophotography, almost new to VMs, and no stranger to Linux (user since 1999). I'm sitting on my couch with my new ZWO ASI120MC-S, trying to test the camera out using Ekos.

So far I've experienced no happiness. There are or appear to be multiple places to get devices connected in KStars.

If I follow Tools->Devices->Device Manager, go down the list to 'CCD' and then pick 'ZWO CCD' and click 'Run service', I get the following

2016-05-01T02:15:51: startup: /usr/bin/indiserver -v -p 7624 -m 100 -f /tmp/indififo99bc1dc9
2016-05-01T02:15:51: listening to port 7624 on fd 3
FIFO: start indi_asi_ccd -n "ZWO CCD"
With name:
FIFO: Starting driver indi_asi_ccd with name (ZWO CCD)
2016-05-01T02:15:51: Driver indi_asi_ccd: pid=1371 rfd=4 wfd=7 efd=8
2016-05-01T02:15:51: Client 5: new arrival from 127.0.0.1:38242 - welcome!

... which, yup, looks pretty good. Now, if I go over to the Tools->Ekos screen, I select 'Local' for Indi mode, 'ZWO CCD' under 'Select Devices' and ... wait, there's a button to 'Start INDI'. Didn't I already do that? If I click this button anyway, I get a popup saying

Ekos detected an instance of INDI server running. Do you wish to shut down the existing instance before starting a new one?

I answer 'Yes', get the message "Connection to INDI host at localhost on port 7624 lost. Server disconnected." and KStars closes (or crashes).

If I try to get things started by going to the Ekos screen FIRST ... I pick 'ZWO CCD' and nothing else, hit 'Start INDI' and get

2016-05-01T05:30:43 Unable to establish:
+ ZWO CCD
Please ensure the device is connected and powered on.
2016-05-01T05:30:37 INDI services started on port 7627. Please connect devices.
2016-05-01T05:30:37 Starting INDI services...

The port number has changed ...

If I then go BACK to 'Devices', I am able to 'Run service' again (on port 7628 this time) with no messages about INDI already running, but there are also no changes on the Ekos screen: only "Stop INDI" and "Options" are available. And that's as far as I've gotten.

What am I doing wrong or possibly not doing at all? It seems the port numbers should be the same, for one.

Thanks,

Glenn Becker
7 years 10 months ago #7994
The topic has been locked.
Hi Glenn,

Sorry for your troubles. You're making it unnecessary complicated.

1. Start KStars
2. Click Ekos Icon
3. Select "ZWO CCD" under CCD
4. Click "Start"
5. Click "Connect"

That's it. You only need to use the device manager in KStars for direct control of INDI drivers without Ekos. This is the way KStars used to connect to INDI drivers before Ekos was developed.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 10 months ago #7995
Hi Jasem,

When I hit 'Start INDI' I get

2016-05-01T23:34:49 Unable to establish:
+ ZWO CCD
Please ensure the device is connected and powered on.
2016-05-01T23:34:44 INDI services started on port 7625. Please connect devices.
2016-05-01T23:34:44 Starting INDI services...

Device is connected ... I believe it is powered on simply by being connected.

The 'Connect' button stays greyed out/disabled, so there's nothing to click.

I'll try updating to the latest Ekos. Is there anything in the VM settings I should adjust?

Glenn
7 years 10 months ago #7997
If under a VM, make sure the camera is powered and connected and also visible to the VM before you start Ekos. Select the camera from the USB list in Virtual Box and it must have a check-mark next to it.
7 years 10 months ago #7998
Thanks. First, here are the lines from dmesg re: the connected camera:

[ 7439.424993] usb 4-2: new SuperSpeed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
[ 7439.437002] usb 4-2: New USB device found, idVendor=03c3, idProduct=120e
[ 7439.437019] usb 4-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 7439.437022] usb 4-2: Product: ASI120MC-S
[ 7439.437024] usb 4-2: Manufacturer: ZWO

I can only presume that all this looks normal.

I have set up a USB filter in the VirtualBox Settings, here is what I've put there (drawing on the dmesg information):

Name: ZWO
Vendor ID: 03c3
Product ID: 120e
Revision:
Manufacturer: ZWO
Product: ASI120MC-S
Serial No: 0
Port:
Remote: No

Does this look reasonable?

Still can't connect to the camera. Sorry to be a pain.
7 years 10 months ago #8002
This looks reasonable. Let me test it from home today and check if there are any outstanding issues. What is your host OS?
7 years 10 months ago #8004
Ok, I tried to connected to ASI120MC in Ekos VM and it connected fine. However, there was a problem with capture. I checked on my machine and the same problem appeared. I updated to the latest ASI SDK and now it works OK. However, it should be detected without problems in the Ekos VM.

At any rate, you can wait tomorrow to get the update in the PPA and see if that helps. Under some circumstances, you also have to install the drivers on the host OS. So if you're using Windows, install ZWO Windows drivers.
7 years 10 months ago #8023
Weird, I could swear I posted a reply to your 'what is your host OS?" question.

The answer: Slackware Linux.
7 years 10 months ago #8026
well, perhaps it is a permission issue. Copy the /lib/udev/rules.d/99-asi.rules file (from the VM) to where ever Slackware stores the udev rules files and restart. That might make a difference.
7 years 10 months ago #8059
I've been away from this project for a bit ... had an astronomy final and assorted other things to get through.

Trying again under Debian. I'll post my results. Have to get Virtualbox all configured.

Glenn
7 years 9 months ago #8904
No happiness. Same as before.

I have a copy of Windows 7 lying around here, but I'd hate to have to resort to installing that.

Glenn
7 years 9 months ago #8905
OK, I've established that Ekos is not able to see the attached USB device.

Installing the ZWO drivers on the host machine seems the logical next step. Will try that tonight when I get home from work.

If that fails, I can try installed kstars-bleeding (I've seen instructions how to install this on Ubuntu but not Debian, but since the former is based on the latter, it shouldn't be too hard) and see if I can make it all work without a VM. Or I guess I could replace Debian with Ubuntu ... it's important to me to get this working. :)
7 years 9 months ago #8910
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds