INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Optical Train Setup with OAG

• Thank you received: 28
Just starting with the new Optical Train feature. I'm confused by how to properly set up an Optical Train when using an off-axis guider.

1 - I set up an Optical Train with my primary imaging camera in the 'Camera' field and my guide camera in the 'Guider' field. In the guide module, when I select this Optical Train it displays the field of view data for my primary imaging camera - that's obviously erroneous.

2 - I set up an Optical Train with my primary imaging camera in the 'Camera' field and NO guide camera. In the guide module, when I select this Optical Train it STILL displays the field of view data for my primary imaging camera - that's also obviously erroneous.

3 - I set up 2 Optical Trains. One is set up as in #2 above. The other is set up with my guide camera in the 'Camera' field and my iOptron mount in the 'Guider' field. This displays the correct field of view in the guide module once I select it. For all the other modules I select the version I created in #2 above.

Is it the intent that, if you use an OAG, you need to set up two Optical Trains - one for your primary camera and one for the guide camera? The video produced with the release only describes the set up of a separate guide scope but not an OAG. Also, if you're using EKOS to issue guide commands to the mount (rather than the guide camera issuing those commands), is that configurable?

Think this is great step in the software and obviously experiencing some setup challenges.
1 year 5 months ago #86825

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We will update documentation soon (hopefully today), but for OAG, you select the Guide camera is the secondary train. Guider is NOT a camera, guider is the device that either generates or receives guiding pulses. So in your secondary train:
1. Camera is ASI174MM
2. Guider: iOptron CEM120

In this configuration, the guiding pulses are sent over to the mount directly. If you were using an ST4 cable, then Guider above would be the camera itself (assuming it has a physical ST4 port) and then the guiding pulses are sent to the camera, which then relays them via the ST4 cable to the mount. I hope this clears it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arnaud, Frederick Ruegsegger, Bill
1 year 5 months ago #86840

• Thank you received: 1
Yeah I think optical trains caught me out last night I couldn’t complete a calibration routine using an OAG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 year 5 months ago #87004

Here is the Optical Trains Documentation . The takeaway is this: Each camera in your equipment profile must have its own optical train.
1 year 5 months ago #87005

• Thank you received: 1
Thanks Jasem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 year 5 months ago #87006

Time to create page: 0.363 seconds