INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Am I using ST4 or not when trying to guide?

• Thank you received: 2
I have a HEQ5-Pro mount and connect using EQMod-driver.
I used to guide via the guide camera and ST4 cable, it was configured in a dropdown menu in the guide-module..

In Kstars/Ekos 3.6.1 there in no such option and I can't get the guiding to work.
The log just says "Calibration started" then "RA drifting forward", then nothing, it just hangs forever.
What can be the problem? Am I using the ST4 cable or not. How do I configure how correction pulses will be sent to the mount?

++Håkan Wahlberg++
1 year 4 months ago #87709

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 94
Hi
Select the guide camera (e.g. zwo camera) for both 'Camera' and 'Guider' in the optical train for your guide telescope.
HTH,
Steve
1 year 4 months ago #87711

Thanks Steve.
Yes, I switch Guider to my guidecamera in the optical train for the guider and it worked!

So, if I understand it correct, guide pulses are now sent via my guidecamera through the ST4 cable to the mount?
But if I specify my mount (EQMod mount) as the Guider, pulses are being sent directly to the mount, not via ST4?
As far as I know this is the preferred way (according to PHD2 people) ?

++Håkan W++
1 year 4 months ago #87715

• Thank you received: 94
Hi
If you're happy with the camera port guiding, leave it. If not, you can simplify the cabling by connecting the mount directly to the computer. Lose the camera to mount cable.
Cheers and HTH.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by alacant.
1 year 4 months ago #87725

• Thank you received: 10
ST4 is the cable/format for what looks like a telephone cable.If you are using EQMod and are hooked directly to the mount via a computer using USB (in the case of my EQ6-R Pro you don't even need the ST4 cable hooked to the guide scope if it is already hooked also to the computer (in my case the RPi 4 running StellarMate OS). The guiding pulses will be transported via the USB cable to the mount.... and I recently discovered that and it allowed me to junk one more cable from the spaghetti mix on the setup.
1 year 4 months ago #87733

Thanks for the answers!
Yes, I understand what the ST4 cable is, what was (and still is) not clear to me how to configure whether to use the ST4 cable or connect directly to the mount using USB.
Yesterday I got guiding to work by specifying the guiding camera as the Guider in the optical train for the guiding scope/camera, so probably using the ST4 cable.
Specifying EQMod mount as the Guider didn't work.

The optical train configuration needs more documentation, please.

++Håkan W++
1 year 4 months ago #87739

Is there anything missing in the documentation here? stellarmate.com/support/ekos/setup.html#mytoc19
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
1 year 4 months ago #87741

Ah..thanks Jasem!

I use to look at this documentation docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kstars/kstars/index.html, never the Stellarmate-docs :)

++Håkan W++
1 year 4 months ago #87742

Time to create page: 1.616 seconds