INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[Solved] Capture/Meridian Flip: Guiding doesn't get restarted

• Thank you received: 133
Last two night I ran long sessions with the intention to look at the problems I had last time with captures not continuing after a Temperature-change induced refocus. Needless to say that temperature was absolutely stable, so no refocus was triggered...

But instead, last night when doing the meridian flip, the guiding was aborted, but not restarted after the alignment stage. :(
After "Post flip re-alignment completed successfully." it directly continued taking images, "Performing post flip re-calibration and guiding..." was never done. The sequences were run from capture module directly, without scheduler.

This is kstars from git master, commit 16c044c29
The two logs are attached, first one from day before, where MF worked, second from last night when it didn't.

(Fortunate sidenote: I didn't lose data, the CEM60EC was drifting less than 60" in two hours thanks to good PA, and 60s exposures unguided are no problem for it. So only missing the dither....)
1 year 5 months ago #87803
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This is still unsolved in current git, and happened again last night, giving me 3½ hours unguided imaging :(
(yes, that was the first usable night after the previous report :( )
1 year 5 months ago #88392

• Thank you received: 370
Doesn't sound good, Peter! Could you please provide the log of last night as well?

In your second log above there is one strange entry:
[2022-11-04T01:00:38.725 WET INFO ][     org.kde.kstars.ekos.guide] - "Mount is slewing. Aborting guide..."
This happens before the mount module initiates the slew to trigger the flip. Is it possible that your mount triggers the slew on its own outside of KStars/EKOS?

Since the mount slews before the meridian flip is issued, guiding aborts before the meridian flip is started by EKOS. Therefore, guiding is not restarted after the flip since EKOS thinks guiding wasn't running before the meridian flip.

Wolfgang
1 year 5 months ago #88408

Hi Wolfgang,

it should be fine, I thought, but just saw that the past-meridian angle was set to 5 degrees. I thought I had it at 1.5, and cannot remember having changed it. It might be that the mount is set to 5 degrees, too. I never attach the hand controller, so I don't remember for sure what I had set it to 2 or 3 years ago...
I will definitely reduce the value tonight and see what happens....

Yesterdays log looks identical, so I'll skip it for now, and post todays (if the problem persists).
(But I thought the message is normal, and if the guiding really aborted the whole sequence would stop. Hmmm)
1 year 5 months ago #88415

The message is unusual, since it comes before the state MOUNT_FLIP_RUNNING is reached. From your log it looks like that the slew for the meridian flip wasn't initiated by EKOS.
1 year 5 months ago #88416

Yes, and therefore guiding wasn't running when MF started, and consequently wasn't started afterwards.
But why did the aborted guiding not kill the sequence? Or does it take a while to initialize? I.e., Capture hands over to MF and doesn't listen to guide aborts anymore, but while MF inits, the mount starts moving and kills guiding before MF looks at that?

I'm already mostly convinced you are right. If I only could remember when/why I set the delay to 5 degrees....
1 year 5 months ago #88421

The sequence did not abort because the capture module already waited for a meridian flip to happen. If this is the case, it is expected that guiding aborts due to the slewing mount.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Wolfgang Reissenberger.
1 year 5 months ago #88429

As expected, you were right. Just finished the MF, this time self-initiated by capture, and it restarted guiding afterwards...

Thanks so much for spotting this!
1 year 5 months ago #88438

Time to create page: 1.404 seconds