INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New MacOS Beta version 3.6.2, please test

• Thank you received: 33
I ran kstars-3.6.2-beta4.dmg with the simulator and with my devices.
Everything seems to connect and react correctly.
No more crash.
1 year 4 months ago #88775

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 155
Ok, I will try these things. First, I just launched KStars and started up INDI and some devices with no issue. I disconnected and stopped INDI and restarted them again. Three times. No problem. All seemed great! Then I stopped and disconnected INDI and quit KStars, and then relaunched KStars. Again, it crashed to the desktop as soon as I tried to connect to my mount. KStars Log attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_11-45-...rash.txt
File Size:46 KB
1 year 4 months ago #88776
Attachments:

Ok, I rebooted and launched KStars. It ran fine with my CEM120 mount and Moonlite Nightcrawler. Then I disconnected those devices and stopped INDI.
I then quite KStars and looked at the Mac's Activity log. Nothing from KStars was running,

Then I relaunched KStars and tried ti connect again to my mount. It crashed as expected. I then looked at the activity monitor and it does show some INDI items running, but that is expected since I had just started it.

I'm stumped.
1 year 4 months ago #88777
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 812
Yeah, thats the strange part about what you described. . .What is different between starting and quitting indi multiple times inside kstars vs starting and stopping indi, closing kstars and starting indi again. That seems to be something that should give the same results to me.
1 year 4 months ago #88778

Ok notice how in the second screenshot indiserver is still running after the kstars crash? That is what I expected and I thought that was the cause of your crash when restarting kstars and launching indi. I thought indiserver was still running and when you started it again, there was a bug of some sort there in terms of starting indi when it was already running. There are supposed to be two options, quit the already running one, or don't start it again, connect to the running one. But no, I don't see indiserver in the first screenshot. Very strange. If KStars is all done and indi is all done and everything is closed, then how can there be any difference from launching it the first time? In your crash log it said cfitsio was somehow related, but that doesn't explain this to me yet. Let me get some other opinions.
1 year 4 months ago #88779

Let me see if I can get it to do this.
1 year 4 months ago #88780

It didn't do it with simulators.

Can you try a couple of different profiles to see if it is caused by a specific driver? If so, we can narrow It down. I don't have the same equipment you do, So your testing is very valuable.
1 year 4 months ago #88781

• Thank you received: 17
Hi!
Actively browsing the sources, I know that for some time, the mechanism of local connection via a file (AF_UNIX) has been introduced to the `INDI Core Library`.
This may explain why a reboot helps. Please note the /tmp/indiserver and other /tmp/indi* files.
1 year 4 months ago #88782

SUCCESS!!!

I created a new profile, and all works now!
My previous profile was created a while ago, just after optical trains came out.
I noticed that there has been some changes to the optical trains (and even the profile settings) when I just created a new one.
So it must have been some error in using the older profile.

Thanks for the suggestion Ron!
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Peter Kennett.
1 year 4 months ago #88783

• Thank you received: 33
I tried to repeat three times the crashes that Peter reported with my setup.
KStars 362 closed normally each time without crashing.
I slewed the scope to several targets : the slew was correct, the dome slaved normally, and I took a sequence of photos (fake because it is very cloudy here).
No problem.
But to go with Peter, I experienced from time to time KStars crashes while closing the app. This might happen during some sessions and then not happen during other sessions. Dont know why.
But not this time.
1 year 4 months ago #88784

Jean Claude,

To my knowledge there has been a bug for a long time where when you stop indiserver sometimes kstars crashes. This is a cross platform bug and I think it was being investigated by a couple of different people. I am not sure of the current status of this, it may have been resolved or maybe not. I don’t think that is related to Peter’s bug, but I could be wrong. The reason I don’t think it is related is because Peter confirmed that indi and kstars were fully shutdown before he tried to start it up again, whereas with the bug I am referencing, it’s just when shutting down that it sometimes crashes kstars.
1 year 4 months ago #88786

Well I’m happy my ordeal is over!
1 year 4 months ago #88788

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds