INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Solver is not working

• Thank you received: 31

Replied by Paul on topic Solver is not working

Gene,

The new Option under StellarSolver Options - Automatic and Manual rotator control - seems to be the cause of the issue.

Even though I have no rotator, it was selected (not by me) and and I have now deselected it and the solving seems to be working again.

This option should not be selectable unless you have a rotator.

Paul
1 year 2 months ago #89445

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Solver is not working

It shouldn't have an impact if you don't have a rotator. Please list the steps to reproduce this issue with this option checked.
1 year 2 months ago #89446

• Thank you received: 52

Replied by Gene N on topic Solver is not working

One thing that would help is having functional logging for astrometry.
I am running Kstars 3.6.0 32 bit
Logs: Verbose
Ekos: INDI + Alignment
Astrometry:: LOG_ALL, SeperateLogFile, /tmp/astrometryLog.txt

I can choose any of the LOG_ALL/LOG_MSG, etc and get no files in /tmp dealing with logging.
1 year 2 months ago #89450

Gene,

I did have logging for astrometry running and included the output in an earlier post.

Paul
1 year 2 months ago #89463

Jasem,

As detailed in my earlier posts, you do one plate solve and then attempt another, the second and subsequent attempts always failed.

Paul
1 year 2 months ago #89464

Hi Paul,

Astrometry logging should look like the attached. I cannot get any of this detail logs with 3.6.0

Gene
1 year 2 months ago #89471
Attachments:

Gene,

Yes, I agree nothing like the following was logged.

[2023-01-06T05:42:35.207 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Only searching for solutions within 30 degrees of RA,Dec (100.267,90)"
[2023-01-06T05:42:35.216 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Field 1 did not solve (index index-4206-03.fits, field objects 1-10)."

Paul
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Paul.
1 year 2 months ago #89489

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Massimo on topic Solver is not working

I'm seeing the same thing on 3.6.3 Stable... no logging at all, regardless of the settings. I also tried unsuccessfully to change the file director destination.

I switched to logging because I was having trouble with the internal solver. It fails on images that are perfectly solved by external ASTAP. When both Internal and ASTAP are used, the internal solver is twice or three times faster. As a result, I'd like to make it work on all captures. I experimented with SEP extraction parameters, but the results were inconclusive, so I looked into log, but I just discovered another obstacle... ahhhh the joy of astrophotography:-)
1 year 1 month ago #90159

Massimo,

I am a little surprised this info on no astrometry logging has gone unnoticed for a month since first posting.

Gene
1 year 1 month ago #90166

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Piotr on topic Solver is not working

Hello my friends

I hit exactly the same issue as described here only "Solving with blind image position..." give me results also I am not able to enable Astrometry logs "/tmp/astrometryLog.txt"
what drive me crazy because i cant go any further. Also disable "Automatic & Manual Rotator Control" is not an option for me because i need manual rotator functionality.

Could anybody could help with solving or enabling logs ?
11 months 2 weeks ago #91916

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Solver is not working

@Piotr et al

Align issues are usually related to bad scale and position estimates (inputs to the solver). Often unchecking "Use Scale" and "Use Position" in the Align settings can fix the problem (though possibly slow down the solving).

It is also possible that the star detection parameters are bad, as a reasonable number of stars need to be detected to solve.

Also, check the fits header of a file that doesn't solve and see if the relevant values look approximately ok (e.g. the reported ra/dec, focal length, sensor size).

StellarSolver comes with a StellarSolverTester tool that Rob provides to help debug solving. You should try it out and see if that can help--e.g. load a problematic file, see if stars are detected well, disable use position, use scale, ... You might then copy over the star detection parameters.

It can also be interesting to have the image solved by the online astrometry.net (nova.astrometry.net/upload).

With regards to logging...around a year ago, guessing that's 3.5.8 or so, there were many reports of KStars crashing. I narrowed many of the crashes down to memory issues in the StellarSolver. (Internally, stellarSolver uses older professional Astronomy C libraries that are good at detecting stars but probably not written/tested for these kind of parallel computations.) Despite spending a ton of time debugging, I was unable to find the culprit code. However, I disabled some of the parallelism in star detection and disabled the logging and the crashes went away. Honestly the logs weren't that informative in helping resolve normal user issues, and the system has been much more stable since. it was well worth the tradeoff (applied to 3.5.9 and on I believe, or perhaps one release later).

If you are unable to figure out why you can't solve, please post a link to a fits file that doesn't solve, along with your system parameters (e.g. focal length, pixel size, where you were pointing) and I can take a look.

Hy
11 months 2 weeks ago #91921

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Solver is not working

and one more thing...

If you are unable to solve your issues, you might try installing ASTAP and using that solver in place of the internal solver. It is an alternative that also works well. Personally I use the internal solver with StellarSolver, but when the crashes were happening last year, I switched to that with fine results. The Align module's settings lets you select the solver you want to use.
11 months 2 weeks ago #91922

Time to create page: 1.678 seconds